LABYRINTH THREE

-NAEUN-

The air is filled with awkward silence now that the baby is sleeping angelically in my arms. The atmosphere feels dead, my throat feels dry. We practically made every desert feel bad about themselves.

He cleared his throat just as I was about to clear mine. I'm suddenly in a position where I have to live through the discomfort for as long as I can.

"So, what's so urgent that made you come here and talk to me in person?" I looked at him and for some reason, I realised that I can survive without selling the land.

Why did I even think of touching that property? I want to escape the situation by telling him that I actually need nothing from him but what excuse should I say? Should I just ... whatever.

"I want to sell the house and lot that we got as a wedding gift." I feel my cheeks burning from embarrassment. I still can't believe how irresponsible I am for not thinking this through. I should know better.

I hold on to the baby as if my dear life is in his hands.

"I have no problems with you selling it, but why do you want to sell it?" I fixed the baby's position in my arms while answering him.

"I am opening a cosmetic company soon, and I'm trying to get as much funds as I can. I mean I have enough, but I guess I am just getting greedy and anxious about it."

I turn to look at him and his eyes meets mine which caused me to almost choke on my saliva. He looked away before I did, and it is such a relief.

"A cosmetic company? Well, yeah you sure do need a lot of funds for that. You can sell the house and lot, just let me know if I can help you with anything through the process." He shrugged dismissingly.

"Thank you. Sorry for taking so much of your time. You must have a lot to do." Looking at the piles of files in his desk, I feel a little guilty. I could've talked to him through email or a phone call at least. Brave of me to assume that this is such a personal matter.

"It's alright. I can't work that much because of Hanjae anyway." I chuckled and it frustrates him even more.

"Is he yours?" Although I am 99 percent sure that it is not his, the remaining 1 percent of curiosity that I have reigned over me.

"Does he look like mine?" He raised his brow, while his eyes are piercing through the deepest core of my soul.

"Who knows? Maybe he looks like his mother or something."

"What are you taking about? Even if adultery is legalised in our country, I can't find myself engaging in one." He is starting to get worked up, and I don't even know where I found the courage to talk to him like this.

"You know we can always file a divorce. It's been five years since we've..." I paused, not knowing what to say next.

"We've what?" I can feel that the table is slowly turning towards him and it makes me feel a little bit panicky.

-ILHOON-