Chapter 4 (Part 2)

Li Xiqing walked up from behind, and picked him up in one swoop, laughing as he strolled to the carriage outside.

*

Leaning into her mother’s embrace, Xie Zhen slept soundly throughout the trip.

When they were about to reach the entrance of Gao fu, Leng shi gently pinched her face to wake her up. “Little lamb, we’re here.”

Xie Xun also climbed onto her lap. “Sis, sis…”

Xie Zhen blinked sleepily, holding both her sister and Leng shi‘s hands as she got off the carriage. In front was the majestic Gao fu, standing taller than Xie fu’s biggest gates. Still it could not be compared to Duke Ding’s Residence. At a glance one could tell that it was built using gold, silver and jade, and the rich history of Duke Ding’s Residence was absent.

Not only were the main red doors lacquered, but the copper door knockers as well.

In front of the gate were numerous carriages, so they hadn’t arrived that early, as there were people who’d arrived even earlier. Seeing their invitations, the servant stationed at the front respectfully led them into the residence. Xie Liqing handed the box holding the gift they’d prepared to him. “Where is Official Gao?”

Taking the gift, the servant replied, “The Official is currently at the main hall receiving guests. This servant will bring you there.”

The banquet had yet started, as there was still an hour till noon. The men had gathered in the main hall to drink tea and converse, while the women, along with their entourage of maids, headed to the inner courtyard where the Old Madame stayed to congratulate her. However, too many people had come, and there wasn’t enough space for everyone to sit down, so the Old Madame had moved to the octagonal pavilion in the courtyard. All the women were there, admiring the rows of brightly-coloured flowers from a distance.

A maid in a green jacket brought them over and said to the seated 70 year-old lady, “Old Madame, Madame Xie has arrived.”

Although the Old Madame was an elderly woman, she was still young at heart, and had much more energy than other elders.

She donned a fur headdress, wearing a rich purple set of robes embroidered with bamboos, and was smiling kindly.

In the pavilion sat several younger Madames, and three of them were the daughters-in-law of the Gao family. The other two were Yang shi of Xun fu and the wife of an official under Xie Liqing respectively.

Upon seeing Leng shi, the Old Madame stood up to welcome her.  “Madame Xie has arrived, quickly come sit.” Looking down, she was enraptured at first glance. “These are Madame Xie’s daughters?”

Leng shi introduced the two troublemakers. “Little Lamb, Xie Xun, this is the Old Madame.”

Together they greeted her respectfully, their voices crisp and sweet.

At once the Old Madame was immensely fond of the two. This Xie family really had good genes, just with a glance at the two girls, she could tell that no ordinary family could have raised and pampered them.