Talking to Strangers-Chapter One

Just the edited version of what I had posted before.

Vote.

Comment.

Fan.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter One

"That will be four fifty," said the cashier of some small town general store.

"Can I put the packet of tissue back? I only have three dollars on me and I really don't need them," I asked shyly as I looked at the pathetic three dollars I held in my hand.

"Tell you what, take these things you have here and keep the money that you have."

"Thank you, sir," I mumbled as i shoved the money in my pocket and took the bag from the cashier. It was not beneath me to refuse free things. I take what I can when I can.

Walking out of the store I spotted a woman talking to my little sister. I rushed over to her I scooped her up into my arms and glared at the stranger. "Lily, this woman here wants to know where mommy is," said Neveah as she wrapped her arms tightly around my neck.

"Oh does she," I commented to Neveah. I turned towards the stranger and lied, "our mother is resting before she has to go work tonight. I wanted to get some ingredients from the store for dinner before she woke up."

"How thoughtful of you!" she exclaimed, "Your mother must be very grateful to have such wonderful children like you two." She walked off to a group of other women her age and began to gossip about us.

"Neveah, what have I told you about talking to strangers?" I scolded.

"Not to talk to stranger wherever we are. Even the police. I know, but sissy she just came up to me and started asking too many questions. So I told her you were inside and I was just waiting for you, but she said she would wait with me until you came back."

"This is why people who grew up in the city hate small towns. Everyone is in everyone's business. Maybe that would of helped back home, but no I need to forget about that place. I am never going back there. Neveah is never going back there," I thought. In a hush tone I told Neveah to come to me if anyone starts talking to her again. She agreed and I carried Neveah as I walked to find a safe place for us to sleep tonight.