Lost

Fuck yeah!

I don't try to control my anger. I let it conquer and settle in an empty corner of my mind where doubt once lived.

I widen my eyes and count to one.

One!

There are no Endohuman powers any more. They've been gone for more than three years.

So what? Instead, there is something more powerful.

Hate.

It gives purpose. It fuels my soul more than any energia mush or ancient ritual. It arms my bow. 

Even though my arrow cannot strike an apple from 200 yards any more, it most very well can strike the unsuspecting man standing in the snow covered, cobble-stoned courtyard of the monastery.

I turn to look at Aspro, the great black wolf that towers behind me as she silently waits for my shot. Behind her, the twenty three remaining werewolves of the ancient pack stare motionless at their leader. Perhaps with curiosity as to why I have been assigned to carry out the kill. They had never accepted me since I found them only weeks after fleeing Seaford. Perhaps they were secretly waiting for my failure, praying that I would miss the shot and be instructed by Aspro to kill me and feed on the remains of the last failed Endohuman on Earth. 

My hand momentarily hesitates and the bow string loosens a fraction.

"You can do it Adam." Aspro slightly nudges me feeling my uncertainty.

"Do you want to be a wolf or not?" she continues.

"More of a rabbit if you ask me," mutters Lyka (her number two and mate).

"Silence." Aspro turns to her pack restoring order.  

Other than Aspro, I knew that to the remaining pack I was nothing but a bastard. The hybrid that had infected their ancient and powerful bloodline with the elements that they had been fighting for millennia. I knew I reeked of human flesh. I knew the remnants of my fear and emotional instability pierced their nostrils. The buried and lost powers of the fallen angels and vampires that once flowed through my veins were not buried deep enough and no match to their killer instincts. Every time I stood close to them I could feel their impatience and the raging battle in their minds between the urge to tear me apart on the one hand and their loyalty to the pack leader Aspro on the other. Had it not been for her I would have been devoured within the first minute Kerby and I crossed paths with them. 

Where I met them? It's not what you think.

Perhaps a forgotten forest in the snowy Alps?

A small farmhouse in the mountains of Brazil after they had feasted on the innocent farmer and his six children? 

No my friends...

I met Aspro and her pack in a ballet school in downtown Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania!