16: The League of Heroes

Start from the beginning

"Eat it. It's good for you."

"Right," I wrapped my fingers around the apple and held it to my lips; It was fresh and juicy. My mother and I had never gotten many fresh foods like fruits and vegetables. We only had them every once in a while when I was super good - and my father was hard to place.

Nezu was very different. Yes, he was a damned rodent, but his personality was very different than what I was used to. He seemed quite relaxed, unlike the other teachers, and less pushy, like Midnight. He didn't even think we needed a training session after I broke the most important rule to ever exist. I tried to run away. Why didn't he hit me?"

"Izumi, why would you think I would hit you?" his voice made me flinch.

My eyes shot to stare at the rodent; Nezu was looking at me with a confused expression. He swallowed unsurely, "has someone hit you before when you've misbehaved?"

Yes.

"No," I choked out. Father would be angry if I told someone. It was a secret I could never share with another soul. We would do even more training. I don't like training. I never liked father's training. I had to be obedient. If I'm obedient then we don't have to train more.

"Izumi, if some ever hit you—"

"—No one hit me," I cut him off immediately. I was about to take another bite of my apple, but my appetite had suddenly faded away. I threw it in the compost bin and went to grab my UA uniform from my bag.

Nezu and I were back to our awkward silence when emerged from the bathroom after changing, and we went back down the lobby. We were already running late so the rodent was in a bit of a rush. I didn't particularly care about school all that much, but at least there was stuff to do there. I guess I had people I could talk to now too.

I stared at the window at the unfamiliar streets as Nezu drove out of his area and began navigating towards assumingly UA High. It had only taken about 5 minutes before I started to get more familiar with the streets and recognized where we were.

I reached up to adjust my sunglasses after the sun peeked out from behind a building. It didn't bug my eyes as much as it used to. With any luck, I'd be able to see properly again soon. The sunglasses helped hide my freckles, at least, because of the way they sat on my face. I hate freckles.

"You should hurry to homeroom," the rodent tells me as parks the car.

I opened the car door without replying and climbed out. He didn't try to continue the conversation further and I entered through the school gates. There was a beep from my bracelets right as I came in, notifying the teachers that I'd arrived on campus.

Classes had already started by the time I arrived at Class 1A, and many glances turned in my direction when I entered the classroom. Midnight was standing at the front, and Aizawa was just climbing into his sleeping bag.

We made eye contact and for a moment I zoned the rest of the class out. Last night he'd been the one to save me. Stuble, Aizawa, he'd helped me out of my panic attack and made me feel safe. My teacher looked away from me with a roll of his eyes and I could feel a strong pang in my chest. After all, then he left me.

"Izumi, why don't you take your seat? Here," she handed me a piece of paper and a marker, "everyone is picking their hero names."

A hero name, huh? Tch. Rolling my eyes, I headed towards the back corner of the class and plopped down in my seat. How could I even pick my hero name? After all, I wasn't a hero. That phrase had started to haunt me. It was a constant excuse as to why the Pros often picked on me.

"Now students, who among you is ready to share?"

It was Narcciist that immediately jumped to his feet and moved behind Aizawa's desk. He slowly held up his page, although it was facing him so we couldn't see the name. He glanced down slightly, "Hold your breath. The shining hero... My name is I cannot stop twinkling! Mon ami, you can't deny my sparkle."