Chapter 17: Distractions

Start from the beginning

"Hello?" I say. "Hey CoCo" I hear dad say, using his old nickname for me. "Hey daddy" I say. I go to the bathroom so I have more privacy. He's shocked at my tone. "Are you okay?" he asks worriedly. "No. I'm sick. I feel like I've been tossed into a volcano, I'm nauseous, I have to blow my nose every five minutes, and I'm coughing up my lungs" I tell him. "What's your temperature?" he asks. I quickly take my temperature. "101.2. It was 103.1 this morning" I tell him. He's silent. "Keep a close watch on your temperature. As soon as you can, take medication. You're doing a great job at keeping me worried" he says. I chuckle humorlessly. "Ya, me to" I say. "What's that supposed to mean?" he asks. "My temperature has never been that high before. What if it goes back up and doesn't go back down. That could mean I would turn into a vampire! This is probably the worst time for that to happen. Not to mention, I'm worried about you hunting James and I don't like mom breathing the same air as Victoria" I say very quickly, venting what I've been feeling all day. "Wow there Chloe. Breathe" he says, and he doesn't say another word until I do so. Several times.

"Thank you. Now, quit worrying about your mother and I. The three of us are more than a match for one vampire. You know that. Also, if you haven't noticed already, your mother is really protective of you and if that Victoria chick so much as mentions your name, she'll have her head ripped off and your mother wouldn't have a scratch. Lastly, are you in any pain? Aside from nausea and a possible sore throat? Do you feel like you're being burned alive?" he asks. I know what he's getting at. "No..." I say. "Then there you go. You aren't turning into a vampire yet. Your temperature is going down to. You have to calm down" he says. I do actually feel a little better after talking to him. "Thank you. Where are you guys?" I ask. "Just outside of Vancouver. We lost James. Edward said that he hasn't been able to read James's mind. Thinks he's too far away. We think he's headed back to Forks" he says. "Aunt Alice saw that he got away" I say.

"Don't worry though. He can't find anything that would lead him to you. The only place your scent has been is our place and the airport" he says. "How are you doing?" I ask, changing the subject. "I'm fine. Just worried about you. How's Bella?" he asks. "Fine" I say shortly. "What does that mean?" he asks. "I said she's fine. I don't know what you're talking about" I say. "I know that 'fine'. You're mom says that when she means that something is not fine. Are you mad at Bella or something" he asks. I fidget with the end of my skirt. "Well, you heard what mom said about Bella back at the house. She has a point. My life is at risk because of her" I say. In the background on his end, I can hear growling. Probably Edward. Dad sighs. "This isn't Bella's fault" dad says. "I'm trying to tell myself that but I can't help but be a little upset" I answer. "Do me a favor and try a little harder. Also, I need you to give the phone to Bella. Edward is about to rip the phone from my hand" dad says. "Alright" I say. I leave the bathroom and hand the phone to Bella without another word.

I go back to Jasper and Alice. Maybe Alice will get another vision about the room. Bella is off the phone in a few minutes when Alice begins sketching on hotel stationery. She's drawing a room: long, rectangular, with a thinner, square section at the back. Wooden planks stretch lengthwise across the room. There's also a long, gold band in the room. "It's a ballet studio," Bella says suddenly. We all look at her. "Do you know this room?" Jasper asks. "It looks like a place I used to go for dance lessons - when I was eight or nine. It was shaped just the same. That's where the bathrooms were - the doors were through the other dance floor. But the stereo here, it was older, and there wasn't a tv. There was a window in the waiting room - you would see the room from this perspective if you looked through it."

We all stare at her. "Are you sure it's the same room?" I ask. "No, not at all - I suppose most dance studios would look the same - the mirrors, the bar." She traces her finger on the paper. "It's just the shape that looked familiar." she touches the door. "Would you have any reason to go there now?" Alice asks. "No, I haven't been there in almost ten years. I was a terrible dancer - they always put me in the back for recitals," she says. "So there's no way it could be connected with you?" Alice asks. "No, I don't even think the same person owns it. I'm sure it's just another dance studio, somewhere." "Where was the studio you went to?" Jasper asks. "It was just around the corner from my mom's house. I used to walk there after school..." "Here in Phoenix then?" I ask, wanting to get to the point. "Yes. Fifty-eighth Street and Cactus."

For the rest of the evening, I work on homework. I don't go to sleep until really late because I get to hot again and I want to finish my homework. By midnight, all of my assignments have been finished and all I have to do is study for exams -I idly wonder how Harry and Ron are holding up, because I wouldn't have finished so quickly if it weren't for my memory. Soon after I fall asleep though, I'm being woken up. I open my eyes to see that it's Alice. "What's up?" I ask groggily. "You're leaving with Bella, Carlisle, Edward, and your dad. They're going to hide you two for a while. Jasper is going to check out. We're going to relocate" she says. It takes me a minute to process this. When I do, I nod. I'm notified that James is coming to Bella's mom's house. I'm just excited that I get to be with my dad.