Flute of Black

Lan Xichen was impressed by the boy, whoever he was. Despite the severity of the wounds on his person, he still remained jovial, happy, and attempted to calm down Lan Sizhui when the other had seen the horror story that was the boy's upper torso, which would indicate his spirit was not broken, despite the state that his body was in. Lan Xichen could not help but admit that he had been quite horrified as well at the state which the boy's back was in. Even more than that, the boy was weak. Incredibly so. It was concerning in more ways than one. Given the fact that he was not wearing the typical Jiang clan colours, but that of the Wen clan, it was a curious factor, and something which Lan Xichen could not help but note. He had always been too observant and far too curious for his own good. Different from Lan Wangji. His brother was always quiet, and, despite his curiosity which came from his observant nature, never particularly acted upon the curiosity he felt. 

When Wei Ying had been healed as best as Lan Xichen could, given the circumstances, he knew that the other would need to be taken to the Cloud Recesses before much else could be done. It was imperative that he get there. Though, Xichen knew that none of them would be able to carry Wei Ying on their swords because, unlike Lan Wangji, none of them were able to do such in this state, or really in any state at that matter.  Furthermore, while Wei Ying clearly had cultivation skills, Lan Xichen doubted that he even truly understood them clearly. If the boy had been captured at a young age, he would have barely gone through training for his cultivation skill. There was no way that he would be able to learn so much in such little time before being captured. Even still, despite the youth's clear cultivation level, there was no way, given just how injured that he was, that the other would be able to do much in his state. To be honest, Lan Xichen was shocked the boy even managed to stand properly with just how much pain he should be in at the moment. It was truly a miracle. Lan Xichen had really had to think about what to do in this situation. He had several disciples with him. Some would have to stay here, others need to be sent to message the other major clans about holding a council, and others more would need to be sent to bring Wei Ying to Cloud Recesses. Lan Xichen had to stay here, to ensure that none from the Jiang clan would try anything, least of all Jiang Cheng, and madam Yu. With Lan Xichen in the lotus pier, none would dare try such a thing. Especially not the sect heir, and the sect heir's mother. It would be a disaster if they did try something. For them, at least. This meant he would need to figure out how best to split the disciples up. 

In the end, Lan Xichen had decided that Lan Sizhui, and Lan Jingyi would be best to send to aid Wei Ying to the Cloud Recess, both of them were capable, they did not tire easily, and they were not timid when it came to fighting if needed. They were quick on their feet, which was something that Lan Xichen had a feeling would be needed before they managed to reach the Cloud Recesses. Though he was uncertain as to why he thought the others would be getting into a fight, he decided to trust his instincts. 

He then decided that three of the disciples would stay with him. After all, Lan Sizhui would be able to tell the GusuLan clan of what had happened here, at the Lotus Pier, with Wei Ying with them as well, managing to do two things in one. The others could be sent in pairs to each of the major clan sects. The Wen Clan, the Niue clan, and the Jian clan. It was at present his best options, and therefore there was little else to do but give the orders. 

-

Wei Ying could not really help but be surprised that Lan Xichen was actually following through with his offer. He could not help but have certain doubts that the other would actively do as he promised, then again, Wei Ying had rights to be doubtful, of everyone. Before they had left, Lan Xichen had given Wei Ying a silver coin, and told him that he was to give it to the gate keeper when they came to the Cloud Recesses, so that he would be allowed within the fortress. Wei Ying currently twirled said coin in between his fingers thoughtfully. It was not often that he was gifted something, and when he was by chance given a gift it was usually a painful one, which he preferred to ignore over anything else. 

Wei Ying sighed heavily. He had to admit, Lan Xichen had left an impression of justice and righteousness, similar to Lan Sizhui when he had first met the boy, in the hut, scared out of his mind from the evil beast which had kept him huddled in the corner. He had grown fond of the boy during their travel. He did not talk all too much, but he was certainly a voice of reason for the other one in the company of three, Lan Jingyi. Of the two of them, that boy had to be one of the most inconsistent boys he had ever seen, granted he had not met many people, but it was somewhat funny to see the two argue back and forth, and back and forth. Back and forth again over what could be the most utterly trivial things. Sometimes Wei Ying would step in and tell them some random thing that he had figured out in order to just get them to stop fighting. He had to say, it could be adorable at times.

Lan Sizhui noticed that Wei Ying seemed to grow more and more restless when they came closer and closer to the Cloud Recesses. He kept looking about them, narrowing his eyes, twitching and getting jittery. It caused him to be on the look out too. Despite what others may thing, Wei Ying was not, or at least it seemed to him, as emotionally and mentally traumatized as he should be. Sizhui was convinced he was just shoving it all down, and ignoring it at the moment. He was worried, as he knew what could happen to those who do not allow themselves the ability to let their emotions out for long enough. 

It would seem, that Wei Ying had a reason to be worried. He had stopped not too far from the Cloud Recesses gate, freezing in place. His grip on his flute increased drastically, colour pulling away from his knuckles as his body became stiff and rigid. 

"Lan Sizhui?" Wei Ying spoke softly. 

"Yes?" Sizhui asked, voice hushed to match the other's.

"Do you have a way to alert others of danger? I think I overheard Master Lan Xichen speaking of something similar to that?"

"Of course, we have a flares signal." Wei Ying nodded, humming in thought. 

"Light it, you, and Lan Jingyi. Then, hide yourselves behind the trees. No matter what you hear, what you smell, or what you see, do not come to my aid. Do you understand?" Wei Ying had his hands on Lan Sizhui's shoulders, staring deep into the other's eyes. 

"But we can help." SiZhui said stubbornly, looking imploringly into Wei Ying's eyes. The worry that he saw there did not alleviate his fears at all.

"Not this time. I can handle it, but I do not wish to hurt you in the process. Please, promise me!" Lan Sizhui bit his lip, clearly torn. The other was injured and wanting to take on an unknown set of enemies? "Please!" 

"Alright, I swear it!" The youth cracked at the begging tone in Wei Ying's voice. 

"Good. Now, do it now." Lan Sizhui and Lan Jingyi quickly lit their flares and watched at the forest was momentarily bathed in orange, before hiding within the forested trees. Peering down, they watched as the fierce beasts of some sort that neither had seen before came rushing at Wei Ying. Lan Sizhui, tears in his eyes which he refused to allow fall, held Lan Jingyi back from aiding the other. He had promised, after all. They could only hope that someone came soon enough to help the other. 

Wei Ying, however, was not reacting panicked. He was calm. The light breeze lifting the ends of his hair, swaying them behind his back, dark and dangerous in the twilight light. He lifted the black flute to his lips. 

And blew.