Reaper of Peace

Kaltaine, Reaper of Peace, someone who Death picked out personally at the time of her death many years ago. She diligently cared for the sick and dying, never letting negativity decrease the quality of life for her patients. Each passed in their sleep with a lullaby in their ears.

Death admired her dedication to this. Even surrounded by the dying, she kept her outlook bright and sharp. She was quick to comfort and care for the family of a deceased person, giving them wonderful stories of said person while they were in her care.

But that was after she grew up. She didn't have an easy childhood. She was the eldest of 10, and went hungry a lot of the time, instead giving her siblings her share of food. Her parents worked under a wealthy but selfish lord of sorts. The family was extremely poor, so Kaltaine started out at age ten as a milk maid and farmhand. By no means was she extremely feminine. She wore boy's clothes and worked as a young boy would, trying her best to provide for her family.

Many in their small town stared at her strangely, whispering about her behind closed doors. She cared not for rumors and the trifles of women. She focused on doing enough work to get food on the table for her family. She grew up learning how to barter and trade, how to grow crops and when to harvest them, and which animals were best to have that supplied the greatest amount of goods for their lifespans.

She wasn't one to start or end gossip. She didn't care. Kaltaine never married, never had children of her own. A few men chased after her, but she politely turned them down. She had no desire to be a house wife. She turned to care of children, teaching both boys and girls whatever she could, moving onto the care of the elderly, sick, and dying.

She was compassionate, caring and smart. With a sharp wit and an eager mind, she was easily favored by Death. And so on her deathbed, the Horseman himself sat with her dressed in a suit to fit the times, and held her hand. He explained all about the position and job of a Reaper, telling her she did not need to give up being kind and peaceful. Kaltaine readily agreed and the moment she took her last breath as a human, Death welcomed her with open arms.