"What can I do?" Libba asked with wide eyes. Her face contorted as she heard her mother's choice words and inarticulate responses to the crippling pain. She almost sounded like a dying animal in her opinion. It horrified her and made her doubt giving her parents grandchildren.

Lindsey turned his head, shooting his daughter a glare and pointing to the oversized chair in the corner. "Sit down and be quiet," he instructed, wondering if he was bleeding yet from Stevie's nails twisting like knives into his love handle. "Steph, breathe. It's almost over," he hoped with a fleeting glance at the clock and tilted his head back as she yanked hard on his curls.

Elisabeth gnawed on her thumbnail and bounced her knee, intently observing her mother and father. She shouldn't have had five cups of coffee and should have remembered the strict rule of silence. She drew in a deep breath and sheepishly smiled at her mother. "Sorry," she mouthed.

Stevie put a hand up to silence her daughter and shook her head. "I need to lie down after that one," she declared, settling into bed and thanking Lindsey for adjusting the pillows behind her back. She fixed the blanket and placed her hands over her belly. Stevie tilted her head, noticing the quick bouncing of her daughter's knee and fidgeting of her fingers. "Libba, how much coffee did you drink?"

"Three cups," she lied, dipping her brunette head. "Okay. Five cups honestly. I chain smoked half a pack too. I'm so nervous. I totally forgot about being quiet."

"Baby, it's fine," Stevie said and rested her head against the pillows. "Please remember to be quiet. If you can't, go outside. I know you want to be in here, but you cannot come in here like the energizer bunny, Elisabeth."

"Yes, mama," Libba replied and cracked her knuckles.

She cringed at the sound of Elisabeth's knuckles popping. "Lindsey, are you okay?"

"Yeah. I've had worse," he joked, cracking a smile and winking. He bent down and kissed her forehead. He backed out of the way as a nurse entered the room. "Time to see if she's a chocolate chip cookie?"

The nurse laughed, shaking her head. "Yes, Mr. Buckingham."

"I hate Abigail related that to food for you," Stevie said to Lindsey as she shifted to be checked. She looked at the nurse expectantly and took the smile on the woman's face as a good sign.

"Chocolate chip cookie and time for that epidural," the nurse disclosed and tossed her gloves into the trash. "He'll be in probably in a few minutes. He's just down the hall."

"Great," Stevie replied. She couldn't wait to see the man that would ease her pain. Stevie glanced at Elisabeth. "Baby, you want to go for a walk?"

"Why?" Elisabeth asked.

"You hate needles," her mother responded simply.

"That's an understatement," Lindsey mumbled under his breath. He remembered his little girl climbing him like a monkey and screaming like a banshee any time a needle came near her in a doctor's office.

"Mama, I'll be fine. It's going in you. Not me," she said and flashed a confident smile.

Lindsey smirked and passed a doubtful look to Stevie. He sat down on the edge of the bed and felt her grip his hand. "Quiet time," he advised Elisabeth and slipped his hands behind Stevie's back, applying pressure as forcefully as he could. He held his breath, fearful that he would be mauled a second time. Lindsey released his breath when the contraction was over. "Thank God."

"You survived," Stevie deadpanned and swiped her bangs out of her eyes. She turned her head towards the entryway. "There's my man of the hour."

Lindsey rolled his eyes as the anesthesiologist introduced himself. He helped Stevie sit up and crouched down in front of her. "Don't start doing splits or cartwheels after this magic trick."