The Mansion

It was a rainy day, when Lalita had come to Calcutta. She was eight years old and couldn't believe her luck. Her father who had once been a man of considerable fortune was now an accountant looking for a job, in the hustling and bustling city of Calcutta, and held on to the hope that his childhood friend would help him in his time of need.

Lalita's father was in luck, not only did he get a job but a place to stay. It was a huge mansion, where his friend, Prince Rai Thakur Mallik lived with his family. Made completely out of marble and reflecting an ancient Greek facade, it was a home for royalty. That is what they were royalty, Lalita didn't miss her village for a minute, here she would playmates and she enjoyed the constant chatter of the grandmothers, the gossip of the wives, and she loved playing with Akash ,Prince Rai Thakur Mallick's youngest son.

Akash, thirteen years old had already taken a liking for Lalita when she had come, there was a playful exuberance about her, a strength of mind that he greatly admired in her. At first sight he had known that she would be his friend his companion and they would grow old together.

As the years passed and Lalita blossomed into a young women, her beauty, her grace drew the natural attention of everyone including that of Prince Rai Thakur Mallik who knew that she would be a perfect daughter in law for his eldest son, Aarv Rai Mallik who had just come back from England after obtaining his law degree.

Set in the tumultuous 19th century Calcutta, when it was the centre of activity and learning. Tradition and culture entwined, and Lalita became a Calcuttan.

It is the story of Lalita, Akash and Aarv two brothers who were fated to love the same woman.

It was a rainy day when Lalita had come to Calcutta, it would be a rainy day when she would leave it.

Authors Note

It took me a long time to think about the story and decide if I would write it, and if I write it, I would post it on wattpad or not.

Readers, please tell me if you like the summary?

I need your views, comments.

It would really help.

Much Love,

Striving8