I take this information and listen closely.

"I had to help my dad with some things around the shop." Javier explain. "Did I miss anything important?"

Iris lips press together before she huff, "Your father needs to understand that skipping school to help around the house is not going to get you into college."

"Babe" Javier rub his forehead. "Let's not do this."

Iris choose to not say anything more but she brings her attention back to me and then her gaze shifts back to Javier again. He clears his throat and says, "This is Hal."

"I know." Iris say.

"Really? That's great." Javier smile. He turns around toward the counter and grabs a menu. "Everything in here is so good. It takes me forever to order every time." Javier explain. He then passes me a menu.

"I didn't know you two knew each other." Iris comments.

"Yeah. We met yesterday." Javier explains while looking over the menu. "Should I get fried pickles or loaded fries?" Before Iris could give him an answer Zaria is skipping over happily. "Hal." She smiles. "I didn't expect to see you again so soon."

Sakiya is the third person to approach us. Iris answer Zaria question before I can even open my mouth. "She came with Javier."

"Really?" Sakiya eyes sparkle in interest at the new information. She smirks deviously like she knew something I didn't. I shift instantly uncomfortable. "What are you guys doing here? Lunch date?"

Iris gives Sakiya a piercing stare.

"No." I finally speak before anyone could speak for me. "He was helping me out."

"With what?" Zaria question cocking her head to the side curiously.

"Yeah." Sakiya smile. "With what?"

Javier finally looks up from the menu. He glares at Sakiya, "It's not like that. This is her grandmother cafe. I was showing her how to get here." He explains.

"You couldn't give her directions?" Iris question furrowing her eyebrow. "You only take one right and it's a straight shot from there."

"I was being nice." Javier defends. "She's new to the town."

"You're always being the nice guy." Iris reply.

I look between the couple and choose to walk away from the awkward situation and as I head for the door Queen step from behind the counter when she notices me. I sigh in relief. She's wearing a dark red apron. I guess mahogany and gold is the town colors. She looks me up and down. "You're early."

I pull at the necklace around my neck. "Javier brought me here." I glance over my shoulder to see him and Iris speaking lowly with each other. Queen nods her head and then disappear into the kitchen. I find a table in the far corner and watch workers clean and deliver food. I pull out my headphones and focus all my attention on my sketchbook.

Queen arrives a few minutes later with a gold plate of chicken and waffles and my mouth water at the sight. I pull my headphones. She glances at my artwork and gives an approving nod before walking away. I basically devour my food. Every bite is a blessing and my taste buds dance in excitement and satisfaction.

Zaria comes over and takes a seat. She glances at my work and comment, "You have talent." The other guys come over and surround me. I close my sketch pad and listen to the other speak about school. I'm mostly confused about everything until Sakiya brings up the hanging statue.

"You should have seen the look on Mr. Robinson face. He was livid." Sakiya explains to Javier.

Javier frown, "I always miss everything when I choose to not go. What else happened?"