"I told you. I'm visiting." I respond. "Are you going to help me or not?"

The older man looks me up and down and then call for someone, "Javier." A boy comes from out of another side door and I look around confused. I didn't notice that door before. "Take this nice young lady across the lake." The boy looks at me for a second in confusion before nodding his head. He grabs a pair of keys off the checkout counter and smile.

"Thanks," I say to the old man and turn to follow Javier outside.

"I hope you can swim."

"What?" I turn around but the man is gone. I run my hands over my face and blink my eyes. I really needed to get some sleep. I walk outside and the temperature has dropped and the wind was whistling loudly. Javier helps me with my bag and we get into the car. "I didn't get your name."

"Hal." I reply.

"Hal?" He repeats. "That's interesting." He gives me a boyish grin. "I like it."

As he drives, I take advantage and take him in. His long black hair is tight in a ponytail that reveals his strong and friendly face. He has beautiful tan skin and his charming hazel eyes complimented him well. There was something alluring about him. I give him a short smile before looking out the window. He chuckles and it's deep and strong before continuing to drive in silence.

The old man wasn't exaggerating when he said something about a lake. We soon drive across a short bridge that was surrounded by the red lake. I look at it in confusion. "It's the reflection of the sun when it's set." Javier explains. "Beautiful right."

"Yeah." I answer and continue to stare at the big body of water. "It almost looks like blood."

Javier chuckles again, "They say this lake used to be filled with murderous yet beautiful creatures that could stay underneath the water. They would swim around you and give you the breath of air so you could explore the deepest and darkest areas of the lake—

"Mermaids?" I question.

"No. Mermaids live in the ocean." Javier explains as if it was the most obvious thing to why mermaids didn't connect with his story. "Once they guide you deep into the water they would suck away your soul as they drain the life out of you and the missing bodies is what turned the lake red."

"That's crazy."

"It's just an old tale." Javier smile. "Nothing to be afraid of unless you can't swim."

Before I could question Javier further we make a complete stop. The home was old but huge. Javier steps out and help me with my bags. "You don't have to do all that." I tell him. He ignores me and takes my bag and we both walk toward the home. It looks to be two-stories with a porch that wrapped around the entire home. I notice a few wooden chairs to my left and the red lake sat right behind the home. "So, are you a reporter or something? We don't get too many visitors."

"This is my grandmother home." I tell him.

Javier's eyes reach the top of his eyebrows in surprise. The front door creaks open and reveals an older woman with mocha brown skin and long white hair that falls below her shoulders. She stands up straight with a ancient cane in her right hand. "How can I help you?" She asks.

"I'm Hal." I tell her. "Your granddaughter."

She looks me up and down and I'm not sure if she approves or not. She then looks at Javier and he smiles, "Hello Mrs. Queen."

She doesn't respond but continues to stare at me before walking away. I look at Javier in confusion but he gives me an encouraging smile. "I didn't know she was your grandmother." He tells me. "You're now the most interesting thing that has happened in this in town in a while."

I ignore everything he says and asks, "Do you know her personally?"

"Yeah." He answers. "I wouldn't call it personal but she's own the cafe down from my job. Everyone knows Mrs. Queen."

I swallow nervously. Javier looks at me oddly and asks, "Is this your first time meeting her?"

"Yeah. " I answer. "Long story."

Javier smile and gives me another encouraging nudge, "She's a great person. She hasn't been the same since her husband passed away a few years back but you will be fine."

I smile. "How can I repay you?" I go through my pockets and pull out a few bills but Javier shakes his head while walking back to his car. "Just invite me over for dinner when she's cooking. Her food is to die for."

"Close the front door." Mrs. Queen shout. "You're letting all the damn air out."

I swallow nervously and Javier gives me a final wave before speeding off in his car. I head inside the home and it's warm and the floors are all wood. Queen is in the kitchen by the stove. She turns around and look me and say, "Lights out at eleven. I know you teens love to be out late. If you're not home by eight you will be locked out. Your room is upstairs, the third door to the right. This is your home now so treat it as such. No boys allowed upstairs." She pauses and just stares at me. "You resemble your grandfather."

I nod my head and play with my fingers. She was leaning on her cane and her stare was so intense. Like she could read every thought that went through my head. My father didn't even make me this uncomfortable when he was disciplining me. "Go get settled." She tells me. "Dinner will be done soon."

The home is beautiful and it has five bedrooms and maybe three bathrooms. My room is huge and I'm surprised by the length. A queen-size bed sits in the center of the room and on top of a bright red rug. There are two closets and my own personal bathroom. It was plain but I could spice it up with time. I drop my bags for the seventh time today and walk towards the large window that stands tall, the bright moon giving the room natural lightening. The closer I get I notice that even with the moonlight shining above the lake it still looked red as blood.

A loud howl interrupts my thoughts and I notice a dark shadow in the backyard. I step back in fear and look again noticing nothing is there. I shut the curtains and get into bed before falling into a slumber.