Chapter 26 - Happy Christmas Part II

Start from the beginning

"Georgie, I will find you! I've been keeping track of the weather – and how late it is when the sun sets – and where the stars are in the sky. You don't know how easy it is to find stuff on the internet now. I can Google all of it until I find the right ocean. Every bit of the earth has been photographed from space now, and you can see the pictures on the computer so close you can see cars on the street." He was lying through his teeth about some of what he'd just said, but he didn't want to let on he already knew their location.

"If he takes you somewhere else, I won't stop until I find you! The authorities will help me track that fucking bastard down! He won't be able to hide! No matter how long it takes me to find you, I need you to wait for me! I need you to stay alive for me, Georgie!" he finished firmly.

She looked at him, her eyes filling with tears as what he was saying sank in. He could see her struggling. She didn't want to give up her plan to kill herself and it was scaring him.

He shook her a little, saying desperately, "I won't be able to bear living without you! D'you understand? Georgie, if I lose you, I won't survive!" Her face fell.

"No, Robert! You can't hurt yourself!" she cried, as if he was the one who's life needed saving.

"That's how I feel about you! Don't you understand? I can't live without you! That's why I won't stop until I have you with me! Don't hurt me like that, Georgie! D'you want me to be the one with the nightmares, watching you jump from the balcony?"

She wailed, "No!" and burst into tears. He pulled her to him and held her tight while she sobbed into his chest.

He knew it was a harsh but he was desperate to get through to her. The agony she was going to feel if he was taken from her was going to be far worse than what she was feeling right now. He would do anything if it would break through her resolve to kill herself. Then he thought of something else. He let go and held her by her arms again.

"Remember what Frankie told me?" he said loudly. She stilled in his arms and her crying lessened.

"Remember what Frankie told you to tell me. She said, 'Whatever it takes, whatever it takes, whatever it takes.' Why d'you think she wanted me to know that? Doesn't that sound like 'No Matter What'? Why d'you think she told you to trust me?"

Georgie was no longer crying. She looked at him intensely, her eyes wide and face tear streaked as she thought for a few minutes.

Then she said with wonder, her voice hushed, "Frankie wanted you to do whatever it takes to find me. She wanted me to trust you would find me." Robert silently thanked Frankie in heaven. She might have just saved her sister's life.

He said gently, "That's right, Georgie. I need you to be very brave for me. It's going to be one of the hardest things you've ever had to do. I need you to stay alive for me until I can find you. Please promise you'll wait for me?"

She nodded and started crying again, steeling herself for what was to come. He held her, shushing her as she cried against him, overwhelmed with relief.

When she stopped crying and relaxed in his arms, he whispered in her ear, "I love ya so much, Georgie. Will ya come to my bed for a while?" It'd been terribly emotional as they opened their presents, and what he wanted more than anything was to hold her and make love to her.

"Yes, Robert," she said quietly, and he let go of her.

He took her music sheets and put them in one of her books so they would be hidden. Then he took her by the hand and led her to his bed. He laid her on her back and looked at her, propped up on his elbow for a moment while she looked back at him intently. Except for the night before, this was only the second time he'd been able to make love to her with her hair loose, and he loved seeing it spread out on his pillow.