In His Eyes (Part 2/2)

I feel bad for making Jiang Cheng's part shorter than Lan Xichen's QAQ

In His Eyes (2/2)

In all his years living together with him, he could safely conclude one thing: his brother is a fucking idiot.

From the time they were children playing at the docks of Lotus Pier until now where they don't seem to meet eye to eye, he knew deep down inside his heart that the Hanguang-Jun must have pulled off something big and obvious for his brother to finally notice he is a cutsleeve for his "Lan Zhan." Jiang Cheng knew, obviously. He wasn't as oblivious as his brother with the way Lan Wangji looked at his brother when they were students back when everything was peaceful.

He was naïve, but not foolish. Living with Wei Wuxian helped him develop his skills more, and adapt to the circumstances of life, as much as it pained him to admit it. Wei Wuxian was smart, cunning, as well as quick on his feet. Jiang Cheng could never live up to those expectations his father placed onto him but his shixiong managed to do it without a sweat.

His father was always proud of him, Wei Wuxian.

His father never really acknowledge his presence. Not since he was born.

He was only made to be the heir of the Yunmeng Jiang Sect, it was obvious by the way his mother always trained him harshly. But he knew his mother was unhappy with her marriage with Jiang Fengmian. Living in the same house, yet never looking each other in the eyes was a real pain in the butt. Sometimes, it didn't matter if they were in front of their children.

Jiang Cheng always seemed to be the subject of their arguments, alongside his shixiong. Sometimes he wished he could yell at his parents to stop, tell his mother that whatever she was fighting for was all one big fat joke because it's true. His own father favored Wei Wuxian and not his own son.

He would never admit it out loud that there were multiple times he would stand in front of the lake with tears softly streaming down his face. His pride won't allow him to let people see him this weak. He won't let them.

He doesn't want to let them.

Everyone knew that he wasn't favored. Everyone knew that he was only second to his adopted brother. Everyone knew that his own father looked at him second.

Everyone knew.

It was an open secret.

Ever since they went to study in Cloud Recesses, more often than not, Wei Wuxian's conversations composed of either Emperor Smile or the Second Young Master of Lan. Jiang Cheng admitted deep in his heart that Lan Wangji had admirable strength and prowess with handling his sword. He could even keep up with Wei Wuxian's impulsive but calculated attacks, something Jiang Cheng himself couldn't do.

Second Young Master Lan always looked at Wei Wuxian with annoyance, but Jiang Cheng noticed that it was never anger. For someone who always liked cleanliness and order, he looked like he never minded the mess Wei Wuxian made.

He can't.

It was always as if he was second to everyone.

Second in everyone's eyes.

Wei Wuxian prioritized his demonic cultivation over their promise and left the sect without regrets.

He took everything.

The Yiling Patriarch took his parents.

The Yiling Patriarch took his home.

The Yiling Patriarch took his own sister and his husband.

He took everything and left him behind.