Prologue

None of us really asked to be here, did we? We were all conceived and brought into the world, we grew up, and eventually began to think for ourselves. But we didn't have a choice in any of that. Some of us have much rougher starts than others, which is unfortunate, but it could be argued that the things we had to endure as children shaped us into better people.

Hard beginnings or not, while we're here, alive, we might as well try our hardest to make a difference, right? Sure we could lay around and mope about our hardships and never do anything with our lives, but what's the point in that? It doesn't benefit anyone, and it's a miserable way to live.

But sometimes that darker side of our mind creeps back up on us, even when we think we have it all under control, and it makes the good things seem pointless. It comes back slowly at first, and then when one thing- a small thing usually- disturbs the peace of mind, it comes back in earnest. And if left unchecked it can consume you.

I suppose that's just how life works. Every day is just another spent desperately trying to run from that darkness. Sometimes it feels like it just might win, and to be completely honest, I don't know if anything is more terrifying than the feeling of losing yourself to it.