the girl next door to my best friend pt. 2

Start from the beginning

"Make yourself at home why don't you." Ben jokes, sitting beside him. 

On any other day Taron's thoughts of Y/N would disappear right about here, and he would forget about her for a few hours until he stepped outside again. But today, he falls into silence and makes no effort to escape it. He allows his thoughts to consume him, his worries and his fears to take over. 

This was something Ben immediately noticed, and for once he decided not to joke about it. If he was any good at giving advice he might try that, but he knows that wouldn't work out, and he's probably find some way to stress Taron out even more. 

"Shall we pop the telly on then?" He says brightly, reaching for the remote. "I think there's supposed to be a game on soon."

"Yeah sure." Taron agrees.

He stands up and walks into the kitchen, grabbing two beer bottles and chucking one at Ben's head, which he catches almost too late. Taron grins and settles back beside him, kicking his feet up onto the ottoman. 

Almost an hour later Taron had returned to his usual self, and the two men were happily joking around, just enjoying each other's company. 

But then the comfort disappeared in a matter of seconds. 

There was a knock at the door, and, ignoring Taron's protests Ben made him go answer it. Taron made futile attempts to stop this, but settled for just flipping him off as he walked backwards towards the door, pulling a face at his friend. 

The frigid air swept through the room for the second time that day, almost distracting Taron from what he saw when he pulled the door open. 

Y/N stood shivering in front of him, rubbing her arms fruitlessly in an attempt to warm herself up. She sighed with relief when she saw him, and held a gloved hand out for him to shake. 

"Hi, I don't think we've properly met. I'm Y/N I live next door. You must be Taron correct?"

Taron nods, unable to form words. 

How does she know his name? He's never introduced himself to her.

She continues, breathless from the cold. "Sorry to bother you but I was just wondering if someone could help me carry this nightstand upstairs?"

She points back to the front of her house, where a small wooden nightstand stands at the bottom of her steps, abandoned. 

"It won't take long, I just need one of you."

Taron opens his mouth to offer to help but is interrupted by Ben's amused voice calling out from the couch. 

"Taron'll do it!"

"Yes Ben thank you very much for your help." Taron retorts, turning back to Y/N. "But yeah, I'd be happy to help."

"Awesome thank you." She says, and leads him down the steps and around the gate, to where the nightstand stands. 

It's relatively small, but the shape of it makes it difficult to carry by yourself, and Taron can see why she put herself out there for this reason. 

"I'll take this end you take the other." She says, gripping the now freezing wood with her hands and getting ready to lift.

"Okay. One, two, three!"

The two lift the nightstand and shuffle to the front steps, inching their way up them ever so slowly. Taron is surprised by how heavy the nightstand actually is, certainly he underestimated it's weight. But there's no way he's going to tell that to Y/N. For her, he soldiers on, doing his best to take more than his half of the nightstand where possible. 

Ten minutes later they're in Y/N's bedroom, and Taron is shifting the nightstand into position where she wants it. 

By the end they're both panting, and rubbing their fingers which are now quite sore from all the weight. 

Y/N smiles. "Thanks for doing that, there's no way I could have managed that by myself."

"Yeah of course." Taron smiles back. 

Neither of them move, and again Taron can feel the unsaid words between them flying around, taunting him. He should leave now, but the way Y/N looks at him is enough to paralyze him. 

"I'm sorry about slamming the door in your face by the way." She says softly. "I was having a bad day and I guess I wasn't feeling mys-"

"Hey, don't worry about that." Taron smiles reassuringly, thankful for the dim winter light so she can't see his cheeks flush. "I get it."

"Thanks."

They lapse into silence again, and Taron wants to scream because the more he gets to know her the more he falls for her. He can see this ending horribly, and no matter how much he wants to stop this he can't do a damned thing about it. 

"Well, I should leave. Unless you have anything else you want me to carry up here?" He grins, and she chuckles. 

"No, that's it for now. Thanks again."

"Of course."

And before he can do or say anything to embarrass himself he pads down the stairs and out the house, shutting the door softly against the now raging winds. And even though the air is freezing, his face is still hot from the exchange they had above. 

Little does he know, Y/N watches him walk away herself, feeling almost exactly the same things as he. 

---

probably gonna do a pt. 3 to this hehe, comment if you want that ig <3