She looks at me guiltily before biting her lip. "I'm sorry, I don't mean to. It's just..."

"Just what?" I ask. I'm waiting for her to start asking questions about Zak, wanting to know why I stayed at his house or maybe what happened between us, but I got something completely different instead.

"Zak said that you disappeared on him. Just up and vanished. After what happened to you at the house, he made it sound like you were unstable?"

My brows lift slightly as I listen, whilst watching the twins attempt the monkey bars. "Did he now?"

"I don't think he meant it as cruelly as it sounds, but he said you were lightheaded." She explains. 

"Hmm. I have been. I've been lightheaded, nauseated, tired, drained, I've had a whole range of emotions too." I tell her. 

"Then please don't be offended when I ask you, what the hell are you doing back here? If you wanted to come home, I could have came to you. Riley, you drove the van whilst feeling like this." She frowns. 

I nod. "I did."

"But why? Why risk it?"

Looking at the twins, I really didn't have an answer. I could have caused an accident tonight, I could have injured myself and other people on the road, who are just trying to get on with their lives. Much like I was, until I heard that conversation..

"I don't know.."

"So why did you leave Zak's house? He sounded concerned on the phone.."

I scoff. "I'm sure he did."

"He did. Riley, you're not telling me something, I know you. Did he do something?" 

"Who, Zak?" I ask finally looking at her. 

She nods "Of course, Zak."

"No." I lie. "No he didn't do anything wrong. I just wanted to come home."

She didn't need to know how pathetic and stupid I had made myself by believing him. She didn't need to know that he played such a blinder, that I allowed myself believe that he was interested in me. 

"Oh nearly!" I cheer at Grace as drops down a few bars from the finish. 

She grins at me before running back to the start to try again whilst Olivia, forever the delicate flower, watches on in awe. 

"You're a damn liar." Avery whispers making me look towards her. 

"I am not. She was nearly there."

"I'm on about Zak. What has happened? You better tell me or I am ringing his ass up and demanding answers." She warns. 

I shrug "Go on then. He's as clueless as to why I left. Why is it so hard to believe that I wanted to come home?"

"Because he's hot and he likes you. Why would you want to come home?" She says turning the question onto me. 

Rolling my eyes, I turn back to the girls. "Whatever Ave, just drop it. I came home for some peace and quiet."

"You come home to twins and me. You're not getting any peace anytime soon. So you better pluck your head from your butt and get ready to tell me what has really happened."

I groan.

*****

Entering the apartment block, I watch as both the girls race each other up the flight of stairs, whilst I grab the post from the mailbox at the front door.