Wendigo

Said to be made of ice, the wendigo is a part of the Algonquin, Ottawa, Chippewa, and Potawatomi tribal culture.  These beasts were once humans who committed sins such as gluttony, selfishness, or the worst being cannibalism. Some of these men were said to be colonist during the starvation period of Jamestown dating back to the year of 1609.
It was also said that a person who would resort to cannibalism would be possessed by an evil spirit, and will mentally break down until there is nothing left and the wendigo takes form around the body.
A wendigo of course is said to be covered in or made of ice, its matted hair is long and black with its skin pale and thinned from hunger, along with piercing fangs. It can stand to a height of fifteen feet and can be killed with fire or be dealt with by a giving it a killing blow to its heart.  The only way to bring out the humanity in a wendigo is to cut open its heart and literally pull out the being that is kept inside of it. Silver is also their weakness but it won't kill them.
By completing such a feat it seems the only way to dispatch a wendigo by not getting yourself harmed or worse is to set it afire or shoot it in the heart. In order for a human being to be in a creature like this it is possible that it may be even bigger than just fifteen feet.  This creature is also a cunning hunter in the day, but it's more deadly in the night. That being said it should only be hunted in the day light hours.
Medical documentations and sightings of wendigos have been around ever since the 1800's and have even been hunted.
Jack Fiddler as known as Zhaawano-giizhigo-gaabaw of the Oji-Cree tribe was a shaman, a chief, and a well known wendigo hunter who was said to have killed fourteen of them. When white missionaries and the people of the Cree had come to the Anishinaabe which is now known as Northern Canada, they believed it to be nothing but a superstition. But they had soon found an evil force coming down on their people.  
But in the year of 1904 Jack Fiddler had been convicted of murdering a girl who was said to have been possessed by such a thing. While in custody he had escaped only to commit suicide the next day. This creature is nothing but a destroyer of ones self, and others and should be stopped at all cost. Al though if there is a possibility of saving the humanity inside of it, you may take that chance. Only be careful  and remember to always hunt it in the day time.