once i was where we would be starting from i squatted down and stuck my hand in the water to test it.  it was freezing cold.  which would make me breath heavier down there and cause me to lose feeling in my limbs and get exhausted.  keeping that in mind i stood next to vik and tried to get my head in the right place.

"are you alright?  you are shaking?"  vik asked concerned.

"im really, really nervous is all." i replied opening my mouth as little as possible in case my food decided to make a second appearance.

"dont worry.  if it looks like you arent coming back up ill jump down to go get you myself."  vik soothed.  i managed a weak smile, but still hoped he wouldnt have to come get me.

however nervous I was feeling, harry looked ten times worse.  he arrived in his swim gear holding a slimy grey-green ball that resembled rat tails all tied together.  gilly weed.  Gilly weed is a magical plant native to the Mediterranean Sea.   When a witch or wizard eats it,  they grow gills and webbing between fingers and toes.  That way they can breathe under water and swim easily.  I have read that there are some arguments about how long the effects last in fresh water Vs salt water.  Hopefully Harrys will last at least a hour in the lake today.

"are you ready for this,  Harry?"  I asked as he nervously looked out into the lake.

"not really.  Mermaids are not friendly creatures.  Have you seen hermione or Ron?"  he asked now looking around the stands.

"no,  not today."  I replied looking around as well.  Half my thoughts were on mermaids though.  I hadn't determined what creatures we would face,  just what was possible.   Harry seemed sure about the mermaids though.

We all lined up on the edge of the dock.  I was in between Harry and vik.  I wiggled my toes over the edge of the dock taking deep breaths to steady myself.

"welcome to the second task.  Last night something was stolen from each of our champions.   A treasure of sorts.  These five treasures,  one for each champion, now lie on the bottom of the black Lake.  In order to win each champion need only find that treasure and return to the surface.   Simple enough.  Except for this, they will have only one hour to do so and one hour only.  After that they'll be on their own."  dumbledore said over a loud speaker.  I uncorked my potion and drank the dark blue liquid inside.  It tasted absolutely awful.  Extremely salty and medicine like.

"put that in your mouth."  mad eye ordered Harry.  I watched as Harry forced the gilly weed into his mouth and chewed quickly, trying to force it down.

"you may begin at the sound of the Cannon." dumbledore said.   As soon as he stopped talking the Cannon sounded and I leaped off the dock.  As soon as I hit the water I took a deep breath to test the potion.  I felt the water swirl around in my lungs and exit as I exhaled.  It felt just like I was breathing above water.  I also noticed my skin gave off a slight glow to light my way and my eyes could see extremely well in the murky water.

I swam to the bottom, noticing how the temperature change didn't bother me as much as it should of.  I swam through some long seaweed,  trying to be as quiet as possible.  A couple minutes went by before I heard singing.   The same song that came from my egg.

I changed course slightly to head toward the song and found myself right in the middle of what looked like a mermaid village.  There were tons of grey skinned mermaids swimming around.  Some gave me dirty looks.

At one end there were five floating figures.  Their hair flowing around them in the water.  As I got closer I noticed the figures were Cedrics ball date, a beauxbatons girl,  hermoine, Ron, and Charlie.  Thinking fast I determined Charlie was my treasure and I went for him.  Before I even made it Harry arrived.  He tried to get Ron and hermoine, but a nearby mermaid stopped him.

"but she's my friend too!"  he protested.

"only one." the mermaid said pointing a trident at him.

I finally made it to Charlie and used my wand to cut the rope trying him down.  Grabbing him securely around the waist I turned to Harry, who was watching me.

"wrap it up.  Time is ticking."  I told him, my voice a little muffled under the water.  He nodded and I started my way to the surface.

The surface was further away than I thought, and Charlies dead weight was slowing me down considerably.  Finally, after what felt like forever, I broke the surface coughing.  Charlie had woken up and was now treading water next to me.

"hey, didn't think I'd see you again so soon."  he joked as we swam to the dock.

A bunch of hands pulled us from the water and swathed us in thick towels.  Fleur was already there, having given up early on because of a creature attack.  She looked extremely worried, and I wondered what relationship she had with the young girl still at the bottom of the lake.

I waited for Harry to emerge since he should have been right behind me, but the next people up was cedric and his ball date.  Everyone rushed to help them up as they coughed and choked up water.

I was getting nervous as time ticked by.  Charlie clutched my hand in his, squeezing at intervals to calm me.  I was thankful he was there.  Even his presence was calming.  I was starting to get really cold as the potion wore off.  Every slight breeze bit at any of my exposed skin.

Vik and hermoine were the next to emerge and they sat next to us.  Viks shark head was wearing off and now he only had blueish grey skin.  I squeezed Charlies hand tightly as we waited.

"don't worry.  Dumbledore won't let anyone drown."  he reassured.

Finally Ron and the young girl broke the surface.  Fleur flew to the edge helping the girl out of the water and hugging her, speaking in French the entire time.  They were both out of the water before Harry flew from the water and landed, spluttering on the deck.  He had sucker marks on his skin from some creature.

"Harry!"  dumbledore said releaved.

"Get him another towel."  Barry crouch ordered.

"I want all the judges over here now. " dumbledore ordered taking the judges off to the side.

"thank goodness.  I swear I hate this tournament."  I sighed as everyone fussed over Harry.

"it will be over soon."  Charlie replied rubbing my shoulders.

"attention!  Attention!  The winner is... Miss Krum!"  dumbledore announced.  I smiled as my classmates cheered loudly and a bunch of hands clapped me on the back.

"for showing unique command of potions.  The way I see it,  Mr Potter would have finished first had it not been for his determination to rescue not only Mr weasley, but the others as well.  We've agreed to award him second place!  For outstanding moral fibre."  dumbledore continued.  The crowd is now half cheers, half booing.

The crowd starts leaving the stands.  I join the throng of bodies, still keeping the towel firmly wrapped around myself.  I didn't feel anything after this stage.   No relief or anything.   I think I was just too exhausted to even care.  And each stage was worse than the last, so the third stage loomed over me.

❤here is the next chapter.  Please keep commenting and voting. Let me know how I am doing.

P. S.  What do you think the relationship between bry and Charlie should be?  And any suggestions on if bry should be in the graveyard?  If she should, any ideas how?