Chapter One

"Oh, come on," I say. "Its one cent. Does it really make a difference?"

The man behind the counter, otherwise known as the cheapest man alive, shook his head. Under his untrimmed beard, his cheeks were flushed from countless hours in front of a five, baking. The Dorhaven Bakery was called the best place to buy cakes and rolls. But then again, there were only two pastry/bakeries shops in Dorhaven, and the other had closed down last week.

"No exceptions." The baker answered. Since the other bakery closed, Dorhaven's Oven, business has been booming. But, as stated above, the shop was known for its cakes and rolls- not its muffins, which always turned out either grainy or stale. Every week the effort into making the muffins seemed to decrease along with the number of people willing to buy. And soon the price fell.

Which is why those grainy muffins are the only thing I can afford- or could, actually.

"I promise to pay you the rest," I tell him. "Come on, the muffins aren't even good. You wouldn't let me starve?"

"Sorry kid," he shrugs, not looking sorry at all. "Can't. Its policy. You gonna have to pay full price."

"But-"

"I can't." He says again. "Now, go home."

I bit my lip. I hadn't eaten in four days and this fat, cheap, balding man was not going to stop me from putting something ediable in my stomach.

Before I can continue begging, the entrance to the bakery is thrown open. A girl, wearing a Victorian styled dress, walks in, her blonde curls bouncing as she does so. Her eyes are focused on a small, blue pouch she has pulled out of her cardigan. I can hear the coins that the pouch contains jingle around as a small boy, probably the girl's brother, tugs at her arm.

"I told you Ty," the girl says. "No turnovers today. Mama told me not to buy you any."

"Sally," the boy whines. "Please."

The girl shakes her head, a small smile on her face. She couldn't have been older than Michelle was before...

I close my eyes before the memories can taunt me. But I can't escape from them. Even if was to one day forget everything, I would still be able to see that day. Because that day couldn't be found in my mind, but in my soul.

The girl was a noble. You could smell the snobbery. Or maybe that was her perfume.

I watched as the girl walked up to the counter, bought a cake ("For my papa's birthday."), got the boy his turnover, and I felt jealousy form in the pit of my empty stomach. Not only could this pair afford items worth more than me, they also had each other, which is more than I could ever hope for.

The girl places the pouch on the counter, while the baker goes back to get her orders. As he does this, the girl taps her foot impatiently. She was probably use to her maids getting her things imminently. I eye the pouch.

I'm so hungry.

The baker doesn't make muffins of then because if the low demand for them. I might not eat for another week.

I need that money.

That little ungrateful wench will be fine without it.

The girl turns away for a second to tell her brother that she can't tell the baker to hurry up. I reach out and swiftly grab the pouch. She turns around once more, and doesn't seem to notice.

I wait after she's out the door and long gone before addressing the baker.

"I already said-" he begins.

I hand him a pile of coins, shutting him up.

"One turnover," I say, giving him a wink.

And that was the last day of my life.