[ 🌟 ] fioeli | i knew i shouldn't have loved you ( god, i'm such a fool. )

a rather old oneshot from lumi, but it's all we have for now qwq .

warning; hanahaki

word count : 1454 words !

" I have someone special at home. "

The priestess puts on a smile, arranging words in her mind that would sound happy, full of joy. Careful to not say anything that could ruin the relationship between the two.

" Aww, " she coos, her eyes shining with a familiar spark of felicitations, hiding the true feeling of disappointment tugging her once hopeful heart. " That's very lovely, eli. i'm sure she's very lucky to have you. "

A faint blush brushes through his pale skin, and even though he tries to hide it with a part of his robe, she saw it anyways.

She's always been able to see things. Thanks to that damn awful curiosity of hoping to see at least a small glimmer of love in his eyes when he looks her way, or when she says something when being near him, or when she puts a portal to save his unlucky self whenever Michiko or Hastur catches him.

But no. All she ever sees is point black gratefulness, or one of acquaintanceship. Maybe admiration if she was successful on kiting the hunter for a full five cipher kite, but never one of intimacy.

Was it selfish of her to ask for his love when he already has that someone special at his home?

It's sinful. Against her own morals; to be so misled that one would be unable to hold their own lust and want. And herself. Her own life, her entire existence. The lifetime she spent to be devoted to the god she praised.

And all the tests that He gave. All the proof she had that she is indeed loyal to Him. But this specific one, shaped in the appearance of a brown-haired man. It was something she had no will to fight against.

Oh, if only she saw him first— maybe then she'd finally, finally have a chance to capture his heart before his fiancee ever even met him. Maybe then they'd have a happily married life and not be stuck in this mansion where they were being kept as little prisoners, toyed around by the hunters. Maybe then she could be the one in his mind.

So many maybes. All in which she had no hope in, even if someone gave her a time traveling machine to give her a chance to do so. He'd probably still meet his love one way or another, and she'd be able to do nothing but stand back and relent to the fact that the spotlight will never shine on her, even if she prays to her God. Even if they ever escape. Even if he stays by her side in every chance she was given. Even if the world knows how painfully obvious her crush— no— her love for him was, he'd never gaze at her with fondness. He'll never sneak glances at her out of endearment. He'll never hug her with emotions she always wanted him to, never kiss or tell her those three utterly simple yet complicated words-

" Fiona? Are you okay? "

What she wanted to answer was, "No. No I'm not. I'm never okay because of you. I'm supposed to hate you, Eli. You and your nature made me so vulnerable to love and I know. I know I'm supposed to dislike you, to loathe you with every fiber of my being, but I can't. I can't because I love you and because of all this I'm not okay, nothing of this is okay for me—"

But instead, all that ever came out was a " It's alright, Eli. "

His eyebrows furrow, clearly knowing that something was wrong with the redhead girl next to him. He places his hand on her forehead, not knowing of the intoxicating effect it had on her. He frowns, questioning, " Are you sure? You've been spacing out. . . "

" Of course. " she says, laughing it off like a speck of dirt that latched itself onto her clothes. She stands up, wanting to bring the conversation to a close before anymore of her feelings sprout out of nowhere. " I'm fine, silly. Well, I'll be departing now, I'm supposed to help Patricia with her things. Till we meet again, Eli. "

The seer nods in return. " Of course, Fiona. Go ahead then. "

Turning on her heel, she pivots her way out of the room they were in. Patricia was an excuse— well, she was supposed to help her, especially since they've grown close over the few days the enchantress had joined their little survivor clique. But that wasn't supposed to be till another hour. This was simply a mitigation for her to escape being alone with him in a room together. Lord, thinking of him made her want to choke, rest to an eternal sleep, or maybe just a few hours so that then she can help Patricia around.

' I'll just rest for awhile. . . ' she mumbles, navigating her way through the halls of the Oletus Manor to reach her quaint little room in a small corner. ' Then I'll help Patricia. . .simple enough. '

So she enters her room, wanting to forget every single memory she had of him and erase those pointless feelings developing in her lungs. But an itch in her throat prevents that, and so she figures she should go to the bathroom to sort that out.

' Fiona? You there? '

The newly joined enchantress knocks on the door of the priestess' room, hoping that her friend was inside. She had seen her with Eli in the dining room a few minutes ago, and when the two had disappeared from there she figured out she'd ask the redhead to a chat, maybe help her around.

But she was given no answer. Hmm, maybe the priestess had gone off and wander to the gardens? Patricia didn't know. Fiona always said that in her free times she would be in her room and commune with her God. Even if she wasn't, she'd always be in the dining room, mostly in the company of the blindfolded seer or the lively gardener.

It was rather weird, and even though they had just met a few days ago, the enchantress was rather worried for her friend.

" Patricia—? "

The enchantress turns around to the source of the voice. Sure enough, it was the seer himself, Eli, with his owl on his shoulder.

" What are you doing here? " he asks, a confused frown on his lips, his owl hooting . " I thought Fiona was helping you with your things? "

Patricia nods. " Well yes. I saw that the two of you were at the dining room just now and when you both disappeared, I thought she'd be in her room. "

Eli nods thoughtfully. " I'm guessing she's communing with her God right now, she doesn't like interruptions, from what I heard. Maybe you should visit in a few more minutes? "

" Ah, well of course. " She says, breathing a sigh of relief. " Well, I'll go then. Thank you for the information, E- "

A loud cough emitting from inside the room interrupts her words. And before she even knew it, Eli had rushed inside, opening the door to reveal a certain redheaded priestess, who she hoped was fine. Perhaps she had just gotten a minor cough and they were over-worrying about her, and then she'd playfully scold the two of them while ushering them out of her room, and locked the door.

But it wasn't, at the sight in front of them was much more horrifying to the human eye.

In front of them was Fiona, on her bed. The white bedsheets were now tainted with a speck of red blood. A hand on her neck, and another on her lips. Both hands having a similar trail of blood on them. Tears welled in her eyes as she choked, coughing out something that wasn't very ordinary.

She was vomiting flowers.

And then when the two barged in her room, what was in her eyes were despair, despair mixed with a rather small glint of hope. Eyes that were filled with love that were directed towards the male, and yet it had this flicker of regret, but never overpowered the love in her eyes.

Patricia had read of many diseases back then before she was in the manor. Her mother had taught her of many things, like poisons and remedies. And she's definitely taught her of sicknesses like the common cold and the worst ones like the black plague. But this one, it was familiar, because it was odd and full of mysticism.

Hanahaki, the disease of unrequited love. And if Patricia has to guess who the receiving end of that disease was then, well, she honestly had a good guess of who that person was.

" Eli. . . "

The lovestruck girl had said it herself.