16.1

ANNABELLE STEPPED into hawkin's precinct, walking with a lack of authority in comparison to the others around, and stopped right in front of the lady at the desk. "where's hopper?" she questioned as the woman glanced up at annabelle.

"i take that your miss henderson. welcome" she forced a smile. annabelle mirrored her actions. "he's in his office. he instructed me to tell you to knock before entering seeing as and i quote 'the little shit just barges in otherwise'" the woman chuckled as annabelle rolled her eyes, smiling.

"thank you..." annabelle glanced at the plaque with the woman's name on it "-florence". she walked towards hopper's office, knocking once before going inside. she was met by a glare from the cheif as she gave him an innocent look.

"you cant be mad at me, i knocked!" she said defensively, sitting in the chair opposite to him, lighting up a cigarette.

"i'll be having none of this" he told her sternly before she took the first puff, snatching it out of her mouth and putting it out.

"you owe me at least 50 cents now" she glared at him.

"you'll thank me when you're not dying of lung cancer" he told her, lighting up his own smoke.

"oh, so its fine for you to smoke?" she snapped at him as hopper groaned.

"i'm an adult that has past the prime of his life. now, do you mind shutting up" he huffed annoyedly. annabelle held her hands up in defence, playing with her hair.

annabelle was the only kid in the whole of hawkins that hopper even remotely liked. he found her pretty similar to himself in a way. he found the story's over why she was arrested multiple times hilarious, and she never failed to remind him that she could easily beat him up with the lethal streak of violence she carried around, as if it was a personality trait. he also cared for her because he felt as if it was his duty. her father was his best friend and he felt implied to take on the role of the father figure after he died, knowing annabelle would need it later on in life.

"so, jim. jimbo. jimmy. big j..." annabelle started, trying to get on his nerves even more.

"jim. jim hopper. cheif hopper to you." he told her sternly, earning a roll of the eye.

"and here i was thinking this'd be really fun" she groaned before speaking again. "what're we doing today then?".

"we wait until we get a call, drive around for a bit after that, maybe get something to eat and drink, probably stop at joyce's store..." he trailed off as annabelle nodded slowly, placing a pen behind her ear.

"so its kinda like some sort of sick waiting game. have you ever thought about this. you're a cop, right. this is a job depends on having stuff go wrong and having criminals. so basically you're out here wishing bad, life threatening things upon people so you can make a living" she informed him bluntly, picking on her nails as jim stared at her wide eyed. "is it worth it?" she questioned as jim ignored her.

"stop it with this philosophical shit"he muttered as annabelle heard the phone ring.

"yippie" she spoke unenthusiastically as jim placed his hat on his head and grabbed a notebook, handing another one to annabelle.

"let's go check this out" he muttered as annabelle nodded. they walked out as flo hung up.

"the mayor called earlier and wanted me to inform you that he'll need you on standby at all times in case of protesters. oh, and also i got a call from the ward family saying that there's been a breaking and entering at their neighbour's house and they stole her phone so she couldn't call." she informed them as hopper nodded, walking to his car, annabelle close behind.

she got into the car and instantly put the radio on. jim slapped her hand away from it and put on a tape, you don't mess around with jim coming through the speakers.

"smhg son of a bitch" she uttered under her breath. "so, what do you want me to do?" annabelle questioned as jim ignored her, getting out and walking towards the house, notebook in hand.

"just let me do the talking, yeah?" he instructed as annabelle nodded slowly.

"yes sor" she saluted mockingly as hopper groaned, mumbling under his breath about what a mistake he'd made. they arrived at the house and knocked the door, an elderly woman coming to answer it.

"mrs cooper, i didn't know that you'd arrived home" hopper stuttered as the the woman stared him down, unimpressed.

"you had one job, hopper. keep this town safe" she tutted, before her gaze landed on annabelle. "oh heavens! please tell me that you aren't going for minors, hopper. it'd be such a shame for you to be arrested for dating an under aged girl" she cooed as annabelle gagged in disgust.

"not to be rude, mrs cooper, but my standards are above jim and i have a boyfriend" she chuckled dryly.

"marvellous. so come in. you can tell me all about this boy sweetie, whilst the cheif here takes care of the crime". annabelle beamed as she passed hop, winkinh at him playfully as he rolled his eyes in annoyance.

A/n

fuck knows what this chapter is.
I attempted writing a filler chapter so you could get to know Anna and Hopper's relationship but ugh i cba