𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫.

[ iv

[ iv. ashes of destruction ]

october 31st, 1984. wednesday.

⇝ ⇝ ⇝

"MEL, ARE YOU SURE that you don't want me to put something together for you?  I'm sure there's something down in the basement I can use for a costume."

"I'm positive, Nance."

Her older sister stared at her suspiciously from where she stood alone in the kitchen.  "You're really not going trick-or-treating?"  She questioned.  Her voice was tinted with both confusion and sadness.

Melanie shrugged her shoulders and looked down at her half-eaten waffle.  The flimsy Eggo was getting cold now, the butter and syrup making it soggy and unappetizing.  "I just want to stay home tonight, okay?" She insisted.  Before Nancy could promptly ask her any further questions as to the potential why, Melanie was quick to continue.  "Don't worry about me.  I'll just put a movie on," She added.  "And hand out candy so both Mom and Dad can take Holly out."

Nancy's face fell.  "If only you were older," She grumbled dishearteningly.

Melanie wrinkled her nose.  "What's that got to do with anything?"

"You could have gone to a party with me tonight, but you can't really.  Not yet, anyways," She explained.  "Right now, you're stuck in that age where you're too old to act like a little kid, but still too young to act like a real teenager.  It's confusing."

"It sucks."

At her small comment, a smirk pulled at Nancy's lips, and she stepped out of the kitchen.  Crossing over to the empty dining table, she sunk into the seat beside Melanie's with a small glass of orange juice.  Neither of the sisters spoke, but they did not have to because their innocent thoughts of growing up were soon broken by the arrival of footsteps coming down the stairs.  Melanie glanced over her shoulder just in time to see her twin brother land on the bottom step, dressed to the extremes in his Halloween costume and beaming proudly.

Mike was supposed to be dressed as one of the Ghostbusters, and the rest of the boys in the Party—Lucas, Dustin and Will—were also members of the ghost-hunting gang.  She had seen all of their costumes and they were practically identical; each boy cladded in a horrendous brown jumpsuit with a large, black vacuum-like device strapped over their shoulders that was meant to suck up ghosts.  It was an interesting costume, to say the least; and Melanie had had absolutely no problem turning down her invitation to join their hunting brood.  Neither had Jason.

Beside her, Nancy was also giving Mike a look of surprise, eyeing his appearance up and down with a faint tinge of disgust written on her pointed features.  "Is that why you don't want to go trick-or-treating?" She asked Melanie, her voice much too low to be heard from Mike who was all the way across the room.  "You don't want to be seen with them?"