Chapter 20- Tell All

Josephine was distracted after the rooster incident, and it persisted throughout the subsequent dinner. She hadn't dared to look in Tennyson's direction, and instead stuck close beside Constance. Isabella had been kind enough to act as if nothing was out of the ordinary for which Josephine was appreciative. Henry was a no-show at dinner, and she assumed he stayed in his room because of the nasty bruise painting his face.

Josephine knew people were suspicious of the time her and Tennyson spent apart. She could feel it in the glares of Mrs. Tennyson. She and he hardly seemed like acquaintances. And Josephine became trapped in the could have, would have, should have's.

I could have told Tennyson 'no' when he suggested we fabricate a friendship.

I would have not fallen for him if I had avoided him altogether.

I should have never come to Loewick House.

The problem with could, would, and should haves? They are a daydream, and when the dream is over all that remains is what did happen. And you can't change the dids.

Constance had asked Josephine about her uncharacteristic behavior, but between the scolding she received over the rooster debacle and not wanting to distract from Constance's engagement, Josephine pretended there was nothing new to tell. And truthfully added that she was homesick.

Josephine prepared to avoid Tennyson at breakfast too, but he had other plans. She cautiously eyed the long dining table. Once she seated herself at the far end beside Lord Cavender, Tennyson wasted no time placing his crowded plate on her vacant side. She briefly glanced at the fresh fruits and buttered rolls in chaotic array.

Why did he sit here? Perhaps he also noticed his mother's evil glares...

She feigned deep interest in her boiled egg. But she could feel Tennyson's proximity like a second skin, and Josephine scolded herself for the trill in her chest.

"Good morning Miss Yorke," his deep voice calmly greeted, chipping away at her resolve to despise him.

"Good morning," came her curt reply.

He smirked. Chip

She added, "Why sit beside me, when there are many more appealing choices?"

"Not by my estimation. That scowl is quite becoming on you," Tennyson responded, and she had to steady her expression. Chip

When Josephine made no return comment he continued, "Will you ride with me this morning? But before you say no, you should recognize that I did not demand or force. I politely asked if you would accompany me. And, if you still say no, I will humiliate myself by begging. I promise it is important. Again I ask, will you go riding with me?"

Josephine didn't know what to make of Tennyson's invitation, but his hopeful expression chipped away her remaining resolve. She would say yes, but not before making him fret a bit.

"You do not mind humiliating yourself with begging? Hmmm...But, I do not think begging suits you. I would prefer a grander gesture," she mischievously offered.

Lord Cavender began speaking with Josephine, oblivious to her and Tennyson's conversation. "Miss Yorke, did I tell you that the Rhinoceros Beetle can lift up to eight-hundred times it's weight? Simply fascinating! Can you imagine all the things you could carry with that magnitude of strength?!"

"Perhaps Mr. Tennyson's ego?" Josephine dryly commented, causing Lord Cavender to sputter and suddenly notice the additional person beside Miss Yorke. Tennyson offered a slight nod. While Lord Cavender still looked a bit startled, she continued, "The Rhinoceros Beetle sounds to be an amazing creature. Truly, with that measure of strength, I would pick up all sorts of things, if only to showcase my abilities. What would you attempt, Sir?"