Chapter 6: Council of Elrond

Start from the beginning

From the ashes  of  fire shall be woken,

A light from the shadows shall spring;

Renewed shall be blade that was broken:

The crownless again shall be king.

"He is Aragorn, son of Arathorn. You owe him your allegiance." Said the old hobbit.

"Aragorn?" asked Boromir surprised and turned to Aragorn. "This is Isildur's heir?"

"And heir to the throne of Gondor." said Bilbo.

"Gondor has no king. Gondor needs no king." said Boromir angrily and looked at Aragorn disgusted.

"Bilbo, please sit." Said Aragorn to Bilbo softly. Nestarel could see the pain and sadness in his eyes. She could see the effects of the heavy burden on his shoulders. He wanted nothing more than to be free and live in peace with a woman he loved more than anything and that made Nestarel sad to see her friend suffering. He didn't want to be king.

"Aragorn is right. We cannot use it." said Elrond. "You have only one choice." he paused and looked at everyone. "The ring must be destroyed."

"What are we waiting for?" Said one of the dwarves with sienna hair and beard and stood with his ax in his hand. He took a few long strides and reached the pedestal. before anyone can stop him, he raised his ax and with a cry and brought it down on the ring with all of his power. But the ax shattered like a piece of glass and he was thrown backward. Nestarel looked at Frodo. he had covered his face with his hand and he looked distressed. Gandalf who was watching him turned and his eyes met Netarel's. "The Ring had affected him." She said in her mind. Gandalf nodded his head intangibly. "Yes. That is what I was afraid of." He answered.

"The ring cannot be destroyed, Gimli, son of Gloin, by any craft that we here possess." said Elrond. "The ring was made in the fires of Mount Doom. Only there can it be unmade. It must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fierychasm from whence it came. One of you...must do this." he finished and looked at everyone. They all were silent.

"One does not simply walk into Mordor," said Boromir and laughed bitterly. "Its black gates are guarded by more than just orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep. The great eye is ever-watchful. It is a barren wasteland riddled with fire, and ash and dust. The very air you breathe is a poisonous fume. Not with 10,000 men could you do this. It is folly."

"Have you heard nothing Lord Elrond has said? The ring must be destroyed." said Legolas frustrated and stood. "Legolas!" said Nestarel pleadingly and tried to make him calm, but it was hopeless.

"And I suppose you think you are the one to do it!" said Gimli and he stood as well. Dwarves stood behind him and Mirkwook Elves stood behind Legolas.

"And if we fail, what then? What happens when Sauron takes back what is his?" said Boromir and he stood too. Now, everyone except Nestarel, Elrond and Frodo was on their feet.

"I will be dead before I see the ring in the hands of an elf! Never trust an elf!" said Gimli angrily.

"Do you not understand? While you bicker amongst yourselves, Sauron's power grows!" said Gandalf, trying to make peace.

"None can escape it! You'll all be destroyed!" said Boromir. Nestarel glanced at the ring. The pain in her chest increased again. The power of the Ring was at work and it was absorbing the negative power with thrill.

"I will take it. I will take it." shouted Frodo between the many loud voices and everyone silenced and turned to him. "I will take the Ring to Mordor," he said shyly and looked at everyone. "Though...I do not know the way."

Nestarel smiled at him. He was so brave. Gandalf smiled at him kindly and walked to him. "I will help you bear this burden, Frodo Baggins," he said and put his hand on Frodo's shoulder. "as long as it is yours to bear."

"If by my life or death I can protect you, I will." said Aragorn and went and knelt in front of Frodo. "You have my sword."

"And you have my bow." said Legolas and Nestarel's eyes grew wide. She just looked at him who went and stood near Gandalf. " I will do anything in my power to keep you safe, even if it takes my own life. I promise." his words from last night echoed in her mind. "No!" she whispered. Legolas didn't look at her at all. He couldn't bear the look in her eyes. He had to do this for her safety.

"And my ax." said Gimli and stood near Legolas who rolled his eyes.

"You carry the fates of us all, little one." said Boromir and walked closer to Frodo. "If this is indeed the will of the Council then Gondor will see it done." he said and stood near Aragorn.

"Mr. Frodo's not going anywhere without me." said a voice and Samwise Gamgi ran into the circle from behind the trees and stood near Frodo with his arms folded. Frodo smiled at his fondly.

"No," said Elrond with a faked hardness. "indeed it is hardly possible to separate you even when he is summoned to a secret council and you are not."

"Hey. We're coming too!" Cried someone else and in Elrond's utter surprise, Merry and Pippin, the two cute hobbits, ran to Frodo from behind the pillars. "You'll have to send us home tied up in a sack to stop us." said Merry.

"Anyway, you need people of intelligence on this sort of mission. Quest. Thing." he said and made Nestarel to smile weakly although she was worried sick. The sight of her smile melted Legolas' heart. It was meant everything to him.

"Well, that rules you out, Pip." said Merry seriously.

"Nine companions," said Elrond and looked at them. "So be it. You shall be: The Fellowship of the Ring."

"Great! Where are we going?" said Pip and Everyone looked at him with a smile. Nestarel looked at Legolas whose eyes were fixed on her. "Don't be worry. I will be fine." Nestarel could read this from his eyes, but deep inside she was dying. She had failed her king, Thranduil for keeping Legolas safe. She was the one who had sent him to this quest and it wasn't easy for her at all. She sighed and shook her head. She then spun on her heels and left the council quickly, ignoring Legolas' desperate call for her.

-------------------------------------------------

A/N: So our journey to save our beloved Middle Earth is beginning. Do you like this story? Let me know with your comments and votes.