Chapter Eighteen.

Start from the beginning

I walk over to Matt's table and sit next to him. I start eating my food and that's when I catch myself playing eye-tag with Noah. I look at him, then he looks at me and I quickly look away. It goes on like that for at least five minutes, before I get interrupted.

"So, Emi, why didn't you sit with us yesterday?" Jared asks.

Jared's never said more than two words to me and now he wants to talk to me? "Matt wasn't here so I thought it'd be weird," I answer, lying. Yes, Matt wasn't here, but I wanted to sit somewhere else, with somebody else.

"And it wasn't weird sitting with Noah?" Matt cuts in.

I look at Matt and drop my fork from the discusting fruit cup I'm eating. "Are we fighting?" I ask Matt. "Really? You're mad at me for eating lunch with Noah? What are we in preschool?"

"I don't get how it's weird to sit with your friends, but it's not to sit with Noah," Matt replies.

"I don't know, maybe because they're your friends. Jared and Leon are pervs, Hardy's not around anymore, and you," I say looking at the kids who's name I don't know. "I don't know what your name is, but you're too quiet. So I'd say that my options were pretty limited."

"I just don't like you hanging around my brother. That's all I'm saying," he explains vaguely.

I sigh. "Well, then maybe you should be around and I wouldn't have to. That's all I'm saying," I mumble.

"Emi's screwing both of the Fletcher brothers," I hear Jared whisper to Leon and they both laugh.

I'm not 'screwing' anybody. I pick up my water bottle and throw it on them, splashing water on their faces and down their shirts.

"You bitch!" Jared shouts, rising from his seat. "What the fuck was that for?" Now suddenly the whole cafeteria is quiet, trying to see if there's going to be a fight.

Matt starts to say something to Jared, but get cut off by somebody. "Jared, sit your ass back down," Noah says.

Is Noah really sticking up for me?

"And if I don't?" Jared throws back.

Noah chuckles, mockingly. "If you don't, I'll let Emi here beat the shit out of you."

What? Me? I wouldn't know the first thing about fighting. Besides isn't the guy supposed to do that for a girl. Then again, I kind of like him not saying that he'll to the ass kicking. I'm sure I could manage it...maybe.

"Oh, yeah, I'm sure she'd to major damage," Leon mumbles, wiping water off of her face.

"Emi's got one hell of a knee, isn't that right, Noah?" Matt jumps in, chuckling, probably thinking about the time when I kneed Noah in the balls.

I burst out into a fit of laughter. I wasn't even playing around when I did that, I was serious. Noah was being a jerk, so I did the first thing that came to mind. I've never been the one to act on my impulses. Just now I did too, I through water on Jared and Leon. It's Noah's fault. It's easier to just blame everything on him.

Matt's little joke simmers everybody down. Jared and Leon apologize, but I pretend to accept it. For Matt...

It's finally Saturday and I feel even worse, my nose is stuffed up, I have a cough, and my throat hurts. It really sucks because tonight's Homecoming and I'm expected to go. I have to go because of Matt. I mean, he can't show up without a date and he has to go because he's on the team, it's practically a require meant. Right now, I feel like snuggling up underneath the covers and watching old movies.

I've probably too much DayQuil and other cold medicines in order to get over this cold, but it's not working. Not to mention that I miss my bed because the guest bed in the Fletcher's house is hard because it hasn't been worn in. I don't care having, plus there's just something about not sleeping in a bed that makes you feel all warm and cozy inside. And that's the meds speaking...