A few minutes float by as I crouch down next to my camera. 

I watch as a sudden ripple of water forms in the lake. As soon as that ripple fades out, another one starts with a swish of something in the water. I rush over to my camera to focus more clearly on whatever is making the water move. I wait a minute staring at the suddenly still water. I'm almost convinced that whatever it was must have been my imagination when the water starts moving in gentle circles once again. 

In the middle of the rings is a yellow-green and grey speckled snout. I watch as it splits in two, and a set of sharp fangs present themself. I snap a quick picture as evidence that there is, in fact, crocodile life in this lake before scooching backwards from my camera. 

I rise up carefully, so I don't scare away the crocodile, and turn around. Another small splash reassures me the crocodile is still there and I take off running towards the tents. I quickly unzip the flap of the tent and dash in. 

Robert is still sleeping so soundly, but I know he wouldn't want to miss this, so I kneel down and grab him by the shoulders. Unfortunately, the mere impact of my hands gripping him did not suffice to wake him up. I frown and shake him a bit. Robert's eyes fly open, and his entire body flinches. 

"Sorry!" I stand up and move away from Robert so he'll feel more comfortable. "You'll want to get dressed, I think we've found something." 

Robert rubs his eyes groggily and sighs. "What is it?"

"Just hurry up and meet us by the edge of the pond, okay?" I rush out. There was no time to explain, I just needed to find someone to confirm my beliefs. 

I run over to the rest of the crew by the tent, who have been focusing their attention on other animals we found in the area. A few were researching behavioral patterns in a group of echidnas, and seeing if they coincided with the findings of a prior study. The scientists never wanted to "waste" an exhibition. They were always trying to make the most out of inopportune situations, and I admired them deeply for it. But it isn't exactly ideal in this particular moment. 

"Crocodile!" I shout. Everybody who remains at camp turns to look at me. Among the few left, Wes and Chandler seem to be the most alert. Perhaps from all that coffee. I wave my arm, beckoning them to follow me and yell, "I saw a crocodile in the water! Just a minute ago!"

I jog back over to the spot I had set up my camera with Wes and Chandler hot on my tail. More crew members are preparing equipment in the event that what I saw was genuine. I sigh in relief that the croc did not try to mess with my camera once I reach the spot I had left it. Chandler is not far behind me, and he too stops on the small hill above the water. 

We look out into the water, and again see nothing. Chandler sighs and gives me a sympathetic look. I can tell he wants to believe me but cannot until he sees some evidence. 

By this time, Wes and Robert have both come up behind the two of us. We're all surveying the water, straining to see something pop up. My frown deepens and I begin to think I might have been mistaken. 

"What did you see, Y/N?" Robert asks. He sits next to me, and looks out into the lake. 

"Well I was sure I saw a crocodile," I sigh. "But now I'm starting to think… Maybe I just wanted to see one. I mean, where would it have been all this time anyway?"

"Well hold on, now, Ms. L/N." Wes emphasizes. "It rained this morning." 

Chandler and Robert both visibly perk up at the mention of rain. Robert even glances down at the damp dirt beneath our feet as if he hadn't noticed. But I still feel lost as ever. Thankfully, Chandler notices my confusion.

"Sometimes, when there's a long drought, crocodiles will dig dens and hibernate in them," Chandler explains. "This area may have been experiencing a dry period. When we arrived, the area was drier than usual. Even if it wasn't by much."

"The most recent rainfall could have revived the area just that much more to wake the croc," Wes gasps. "Y/N, was your camera on when you saw this crocodile by any chance?"

My eyes light up when I remember the picture I had managed to capture of the crocodile before it disappeared back under the surface. Wes, Chandler, and Robert all crowd around the screen and rest their eyes on the croc's powerful jaws. 

"Yes!" Robert yells. His smile is the biggest I've ever seen. I'm glad he's finally feeling accomplished. In fact, the whole group's mood seems to have lifted considerably. 

"Well, we ought to get to it then, eh?" Chandler smiles. "Would you help me get the trackers, Wes? We've got a croc to observe!"

"I'll get my camera!" Robert dashes off towards our site as Wes and Chandler head towards the trucks. I feel my face pull up into a large smile. It's time.

A/N

Hello. Long time no see!
I'll explain more soon.

Lots and lots of love,
Write_with_tea