thirteen

AIDEN O'CONNER WATCHED AS KAYDEN SCRUNCHED DOWN AS FAR AS SHE COULD GO IN THE PASSENGER SEAT NEXT TO HIM. Her eyes were rimmed red, and she stared without seeing at the window in front of her. The rain was coming down hard now, and it was hard for Aiden to keep his tires on the road without them skidding. Nevertheless, he had kept to his promise of not drinking, and as such was able to maintain focus. Kayden had only thrown up once since they had been driving, which he considered remarkable considering the winding roads that stretched across Slayden's backwoods and all over town.

Suddenly, a flash of lightning belted across the sky as the thunder let out a loud crack. Kayden jumped in her seat, and Aiden calmly turned on his high beams, knowing they were still at least fifteen minutes away from his or Kayden's house.

He glanced at her. "Do you want to- you know, go home?"

Kayden shook her head. "My mom's drunk right now. So no."

Aiden's hands gripped the steering wheel as he saw his phone light up in its holster just above the radio. He tore his eyes away to look at it, and then immediately flicked on his turn signal, pulling the car onto Jefferson Drive.

Kayden looked at him, her voice hoarse. "Where are we going?"

"Change of plans," He turned into the neighborhood, remembering the way from all the times he had been over for a project or two. "We're heading to Reed's. Gen's there, and he figured we didn't want to be driving in this shit."

"Gen doesn't like me," Kayden stated. "Literally no one does."

"Gen's cool," Aiden said firmly. "And you all are so much more alike than you realize."

He glanced at her. "And if people don't like you just because of- well, you know, they they're the people with the problem."

Her blue eyes met his. "Do you think I'm crazy for doing that?"

"Well," Aiden chose his words carefully. "I don't care for Becker. Personally, I think he's a piece of shit. But do you love him?"

He waited with baited breath, and he felt the tear his heart made when Kayden said softly, "Yes."

"Then I respect your choice," He turned back to the road as they pulled up to Reed's enormous house. "I know what it's like to want to do anything for the people you love."

Kayden waited for him to elaborate, and when he merely turned off the engine and opened the driver's side door, she realized the conversation had been officially closed.

"Thank God," Gen said, looking flustered as she flung open the door. "Reed and I just had sex and I needed a distraction because we're both still high off of that and can't do it again for like, at least an hour tops."

"Holy shit," Aiden looked at her with wide eyes as Reed appeared behind her, grabbing her hand. "Genevieve, must you tell every single person about what we do in my room?"

"It's just Aiden and Kayden," Gen rolled her eyes. "You know, for a boyfriend, you're not earning very many points."

"Well, you got black out drunk at Kyle's party. I'd say we're both even. Now move away from the door so they can come inside, goddamn it."

Gen huffily moved to the side and Aiden and Kayden gratefully entered the warm house, shrugging off their coats and hanging them on the hook by the front door.