CHAPTER FIVE

"They put me down there because they hate me."

"They don't hate you."

Zhan froze, momentarily stopping his angry pacing of the guest room.

"Seriously, Yibo? Granted, I didn't understand a word of what your grandmother said, but she shook her finger at me all night. And then, when I left the table, I'm pretty sure she spat on my empty chair."

"All right, yes." He hung his head.
"Perhaps they do hate you, but it is only because they do not know you."

Zhan plopped down onto the bed next to him. Over his shoulder, the curtains swirled from the wind. Zhan's room was on the third floor and had a little balcony that had a great view from the sceneries of lights. He had been disappointed to discover him and Yibo's luggage had been taken to separate rooms - on different floors, nonetheless - but hadn't been all that surprised, really. Yibo had said his family was traditional, and premarital sex didn't usually go hand in hand with any sort of 'tradition'.

"I hope you're paying me overtime for this."

"You'll get a bonus."

He rubbed his eyes, looking as tired as Xiao had ever seen him. The action made his anger fade away.

"I'm sorry," he whispered.
"I can see that it's not the best family situation."
"No, it's not. It's not very good at all."
He looked over at him.
"Thank you. I mean it.
You did not have to do this, but you did."

He gulped. Could he tell what he did to him when they were sitting this close, merely inches apart?
"You're welcome. I did it because I wanted to, though. I want to help. It's just a lot more intense than I expected it to be. I'm adjusting though." He smiled and touched his hand, their fingers grazing against the bedspread.

"We will be back in Beijing soon enough."
He stood and stretched. Xiao felt as if every square inch of his body was reaching out to him, saying No, Don't go!

"And now I should go back to my room." He grinned at him as he opened the door.

"My relatives may think we are screwing in here. That would really make their heads explode."

Zhan forced a laugh. If he only knew...

"Goodnight, Zhan," he said, his voice lower and softer.

"Goodnight," he whispered, and then he left, closing the door gently behind him.