Dancing with Deception (13)

Chapter 13

I was the first one to the grounds, trying not to shiver in the cool evening air. It was still light out, the sun lending the air a rosy hue, and painting the grounds with rust. No two days looked the same here, and I was constantly left breathless by the view.

As I waited for Nicholas to arrive, I couldn’t help thinking about Ella. The poor girl hadn’t so much as talked to a boy before coming to the castle. She was hardly equipped to deal with a crush, and on the heir to the throne no less. The irony wasn’t lost on me. Clara and I had sworn to help her when we found a boy worthy of her affections, and who could ever be more worthy than Prince Nicholas?

They were, in fact, so suited for each other I had to wonder how I’d failed to notice it before now. But then, I guess the answer was obvious. I’d been in such blind pursuit of my mother’s schemes it never even occurred to me to think what kind of woman would make him happiest. Mother would be proud, I thought bitterly, I’d turned into exactly the kind of selfish lady she’d raised me to be.

No, that wasn’t true. I had changed.

Before coming to the castle such a situation would have brought about an instant and vehement hatred for my rival, whom I would have gone to any lengths to beat and friendship be damned. Now I felt only uncertainty for what I should do, and guilt that I might bring sadness to a friend by pursuing my feelings.

Well, I suppose I had the whole evening in front of me to figure it out once and for all.

At the sound of approaching footsteps I turned around, immediately dismayed and annoyed to see Prince Alexander trailing along by his brother's side.

"Don't be upset," Nicholas pleaded contritely. "I accidently let slip my plans for the evening and he insisted on attending, but he really is the best to help you—"

"No. Absolutely not."

Nicholas stepped towards me, nothing but apologetic. "I promise he'll behave."

I looked at him in disbelief, and he smiled back sheepishly. “Alright, perhaps that’s not a reasonable promise to make.”

Shaking my head, I smiled slightly in reassurance to calm the anxious look on his face. He was like a wounded puppy in need of approval. “I know you mean well Nicholas, but wild animals can’t be tamed.” I directed the last words over his shoulder, where his brother twirled two practice swords in his hands unfazed.

“I’m right here you know,” Prince Alexander drawled, “I can hear you perfectly well.”

I leveled him with the most cutting look of disdain I could muster, a look perfected from years under my mothers direction, before whirling around, immediately heading back towards the castle. Improving my skill was most certainly not worth the humiliation it would bring having Prince Alexander as an instructor.

Nicholas pleaded with me to give him a chance, and while he was gentleman enough not to try and physically stop me, his brother had no such scruples, and grabbed my wrist, turning me around to face him.