The De Rune Legacy

Sylvia's P.O.V

Sunlight painted itself across the trees as amber leaves crunched under the hooves of our horses. Today would mark another hunting trip for me, my adoptive father Robert De Rune and my sister Amicia De Rune. This would be one of the last hunting trips we would have before the frost cold winter settled in.

 "You are dawdling Amicia. How will you be able to follow the lords at hunt?" Father called out to Amicia as she lagged behind on her silver stallion, my golden mare keeping up with father's horse.

"Is that your only ambition for me? To follow? I will be them and I will watch them eat my dust as I forge ahead" Amicia boasted as father stopped his horse, jumping of as I did the same, tying my reign to a nearby branch. Amicia jumped down from her horse as father walked ahead of us, Amicia's favorite dog Leo, sniffing around the flora that littered parts of the ground.''But for that I shall need a good horse'' she continued, hinting at her father.

''You've been going on about for this walk for ages...Why here?'' father asked her.

''The tree'' was her only answer. I shook my head at this. since we were little, father had taken us to a tree for a game called the knight's challenge. Even though we are no longer children who sneaked food from the kitchen and hid from our maids, Amicia still wishes to go to the tree.

''Which tree?'' father asked jokingly.

''The apple tree father'' Amicia groaned at father's humor as we continued walking.'' I want to take the knight's challenge once more!'' she stated. "The knight's challenge....but you're not ten years old anymore...you know'' father reminded her.''Oh please Father! I've trained hard for this!'' Amicia begged.

''If you want I can train you Amicia, but I won't go easy though'' I chuckled.''Thank you Sylvia, but the knight's challenge is exciting!'' she replied.''Plus I don't wont to make your health worse'' she continued, making me frown. Since 3 years ago, my health started to decline. Slowly, but it wasn't harmful enough to keep me in the chateau.

''Alright,let's go'' Father called out to us as we ran to keep up with him, Lion running past all three of us.''Look at Lion! The Guyenne beast is in a hurry to fight it out!'' Amicia chuckled as Lion barked.

''Ha! Your beast thinks with its stomach,as usual...'' Father laughed.''Well there's something you both have in common!'' I teased as my sister laughed with crimson painted on her cheeks.''Hum, that's harsh'' Father playfully pouted as Lion barked again and ran ahead of us.''Go on boy! You'll find a prey I believe in you!'' Amicia encouraged the hunting dog who not so gracefully bounded through the forest floor.

''Don't get your hopes up....Let keep going!'' Father told us as the forest trees clustered more, blocking out the sunlight. As we kept walking, silence played as Amicia's expression turned glum. There was another reason all three of us went on this walk today, one that has been plaguing me and my sister's mind for the past 5 years.

When Father first brought me into the De Rune family, his wife Lady De Rune and Amicia had different expressions. While Amicia was glad to have another girl her age to play with, Lady De Rune was hesitant and cautious. However, it was only a few months after that she accepted me as her daughter. Though we don't talk much, we refer to each other by name and title when talking.

''Look... Your mother's ribbon is still here!'' Father brought me back from my thoughts as we came up to a tree with a dark silk material tied around the trunk.''This is where I courted her, you know...'' Father continued with fondness.

''Yes Father...I know...If only she could come with us...'' Amicia said sadly, making Father stop his pace and turn around to face the both of us.

''We all have obligations, Amica, Sylvia. You...You know in a family.....Hey! I'm trying to tell them something!'' Father shouted at Leon, who kept barking loudly at what Father attempted to say.