We head to the back door. Kevin opens it, but we look around to ensure no one is there before we come out. I lock the door, and Kevin and I leave the garden. We are walking past the Murphy's when we see a van parked in the driveway.

Kevin looks up at me. " I thought the Murphys went to Florida."

"Yeah, I thought they did as well," I say softly.

We both shrug our shoulders before we continue walking. When we got to the store, I waited outside. Kevin is getting a new toothbrush as he has gone missing even though he had it the day before.

I see Kevin run out of the door. A boy comes running out after him. "Hey! Hey!" the boy looks at the policeman and then points at Kevin. "Shoplifter!"

Kevin lets out a gasp and runs across the snow. The policeman follows. "Hey! Hey, kid! Come back here! Stop it, will you? Come here.

I run after them and quickly catch up. Kevin gets on his knees and slides across the ice. "Whoa! Whoa!"

I meet Kevin around the other side of the ice. The policeman stops following as he trips over. The pair of us continue running so that we don't get caught. We stop running when we get past the train tracks.

Kevin looks down at the toothbrush that is still in his hand. "I'm a criminal." He says before shaking his head.

"Kevin, it will be fine. I'll just have to pay for the toothbrush another day." I offer, chuckling softly.

We both fall into a comfortable silence as we get closer to home. We were walking past Murphy's driveway when I heard an engine. I looked to the van was getting close to us. I pull Kevin back, and the van just misses his face. Kevin lets out a scream before we both hurry past.

The man in the driver's seat opens his window and calls out to us. "Hey! Hey! You gotta watch out for traffic, you know."

"Sorry." We both apologize.

The other man leans closer to the window. "Santy, don't visit the funeral homes, buddy."

Kevin nods his head while the first man speaks to us. "Okay, okay. Merry Christmas."

I see Kevin pull a surprised face after the man smiles. Kevin turns around and holds onto my hand. We both started walking and crossed the road. "What's the matter, Kevin?"

"He has a gold tooth. The policeman who visited our house had a gold tooth." Kevin comments.

"I see. We better hurry home without them noticing." I say before we walk a little faster.

The van follows behind us. Every time we stopped and turned around, the van stopped, and they acted like they weren't following us. We both begin running while I ensure not to relinquish Kevin's hand.

We ended up near the church. We hide inside the display. The van stops for a few seconds and hovers before driving off. Kevin and I are quick to run home. "When those guys come back, we'll be ready."

"Yes, we will. Do you have an idea, Kevin?" I ask.

Kevin nods his head as we go through the back door. We get our plan into action. The best way to trick them is to make it seem like many people are in the house. Hopefully, this works.

It is now nighttime. We have Christmas music going and use cardboard cut-outs and dummies to make it seem people are dancing to the music. They are being moved by the strings that Kevin has tied to his body.

Kevin and I peek through the curtain to see the van drive away. Our plan worked. For now, at least. I do not doubt that they will be back at some point.

After putting everything away, Kevin ordered us a cheese pizza. It isn't long before the pizza man knocks at the back door. Kevin uses the person's voice from the TV to make it seem like an adult was there. "Who is it?"

"It's Little Nero's, sir. I have your pizza."

"Leave it on the doorstep and get the hell out of here." Kevin places the TV before pausing it.

"Okay. What about the money?"

"What money?" He presses play again before pausing ii.

"Well, you have to pay for your pizza, sir."

"Is that a fact? How much do I owe you?" Kevin presses play before pausing it again.

"That'll be $11.80, sir."

Kevin passes me the money, and I place it through the flap. Kevin unfreezes the TV. "Keep the change, you filthy animal."

"Cheapskate."

"Hey. I'm gonna give you to the count of ten...to get your ugly, yellow...no-good keister off my property...before I pump your guts full of lead. One, two...ten." The gunfire starts on the TV, and Kevin quickly places his fingers in his ears.

When we heard the car drive off, Kevin paused the TV and went to the door to get the pizza. Kevin sniffs the box and lets out a sigh. "A lovely cheese pizza, just for us."

Kevin closes the door, and I get two plates. We split the pizza between us and began eating. It isn't very often that we have a pizza, never mind a pizza to ourselves. Buzz normally steals it and leaves Kevin and me with nothing.

After eating, we change into our pyjamas and watch TV on the bed. Kevin looks upset. He must be missing our family, still thinking he made them disappear and not that they were in Paris.

He takes out the family pictures from underneath one of the pillows. "I didn't mean it. If you come back, I'll never be a pain in the butt again. I promise. Goodnight." Kevin looks at me, so I look the other way and pretend I don't see what he is doing. He leans down and kisses the picture before hiding it once more.

I turn off the lights, and we go to sleep.

/Thank you for reading this chapter. Please leave a review. Your opinions are appreciated.\