Breathing through Blood.

"Breathing. Yes, thats what was happening now." Ember thought to herself. Pain had filled Ember's chest, reminding her that she needed to breathe when she was running. But the smell was horrible. The smell of flesh and death had followed her for many days and many nights. It had tormented her. Just as much as the sight of death had. 

        Her stomach grumbled. Her body pleaded for a break. But Ember new better. To stop was to die. And Ember would not welcome death. She would not let him rip away the precious and cursing gift of being able to function. No, she would be the one to control her own fate now. 

        The moans of the deceased had clouded her mind. The sounds of these zombies, these people, were sad ones. A song of loss and starvation were words to describe the haunting melody. Ember would not play their music. She ran, as fast as she could, without stopping. Once her body could no longer handle its beating she finally paused and hid.

        She had been scavenging since the End Of Days. Taking whatever was left from wherever she found it. Her spoils would only last a week or two if she tried hard enough. Eight cans, 6 packages of crackers, 7 waterbottles, one sleeping bag, one coat, one pair of clean clothes and a few weapons sat in her brother's dufflebag. Where was her brother now? She wondered. Where was her family?

        Family didn't matter here. Family would not protect her. They would not help her survive. No. She could not think of them. Whether they were dead or alive, it did not matter. Ember shook her head, opening a package of crackers and a waterbottle, she began to eat.

        After her meal, she set up her camp inside a nice boarded up apartment building. She had already gotten rid of one zombie and a zombie cat which made her feel terrible, she honestly hoped that was the last of them in the house. She then set down her sleeping bag, sleep was important to keep moving. She hummed softly to herself, crawling into her makeshift bed, finally her eyes closed and her breathing evened out.

        Outside danger pounded at her door. Moaning and groaning echoed through the halls. And oddly enough, the sounds of bullets flying and shouting were present. 

"So much for sleeping!" Ember growled sharply. She packed up quickly. The sound of survivors had scared her. They would not doubt try to kill her if she didn't hurry. This was going to be a long night.

Hi guys! Jill here to tell you I'm starting a series! (Maybe) Anyway I hope you enjoy Apocalypses. Sorry this chapter was so short! I usually write a lot more but this is just an introduction.