"Yes, but you're already late home. And I have something to ask, and I can't do it with your mouth on me."

Frank raised his eyebrows, grinning wolfishly

"Gonna ask for my hand, Father?" he cooed, pulling back – albeit reluctantly. Gerard snorted, giving him an incredulous look.

"I'm going to pretend you didn't just ask your gay, priest boyfriend if he's going to marry you. Anyway-," he grinned, "I wanted to know if you'd like to go out for dinner with me tomorrow. We've never done it, and I want to see you before I go away," he said warmly. Frank didn't smile as Gerard thought he would – instead, his bottom lip poked out accusingly, the faint 'NJ' stick-and-poke tattoo just about visible from the faint street lights shining on the car.

"I don't see why you gotta go away," he huffed. Gerard smiled, taking his hand

"Because it's Christmas, Frankie. It's my busiest time of year," he winked. Frank blanched, shaking his head

"Oh dude, don't make it sound like I'm fuckin' dating Santa Claus. But...fine. I'll have dinner with you," he huffed, though he shot Gerard an affectionate look from under his eyelashes. Gerard returned the smile, leaning over to press a gentle kiss to the side of his lip

"Now go before you get me excommunicated," he teased, reaching past Frank to open his door. Frank sighed.

"Fine. Love you," he muttered, sliding out of the car and towards his house. Gerard watched just long enough to make sure he got in, before beginning his lonely journey home.

***

It was difficult for Frank to explain to his mother why he wouldn't be at dinner the following evening. He tried to lie and say he was going to Mia's, but his mother wasn't buying it.

"You've gone to Mia's every other night for the last week, Frankie. Leave her poor family alone," she chastised. Frank was nervous – Gerard left for his weird, "It's not a cult, Frank", religious Christmas camp on the Saturday morning; if Frank didn't have dinner with him tomorrow, he wouldn't get to see him until the New Year.

The thought alone was enough to make his stomach twist with anxiety.

Frank didn't speak on the matter again that evening, but the moment he heard his mother's bedroom door close for the night, he grabbed his phone and called Gerard.

Uncharacteristically, the priest took a few rings to answer, and when he did, he sounded suspiciously breathless

"Goodness – Frank? Hello?" he asked, clearing his throat. Frank laughed, sitting on his bed, back pressed against the headboard

"Hey babe. Did I uh, interrupt something?" he asked, wiggling his eyebrows. Gerard breathed a laugh – but pointedly didn't reply.

"It's late, honey. What's up?" he asked. Frank let out a sigh, pressing his lips together

"Mom said no to dinner tomorrow. I've used the Mia excuse too many times recently and...yeah. So we're fucked," he muttered.

Gerard didn't even have to speak for Frank to be able to hear the grin in his voice.

"Oh, well, my darling. It's a good thing that your neighborhood Priest has arranged for a Christmas dinner with some of the youth in the parish," he sighed. Frank's eyebrows furrowed.

"Oh. I mean, yeah. I'll get to see you for sure – but I thought it was gonna be just us?" he mumbled. Gerard was silent for a few moments, and Frank considered that he'd fallen back to sleep until he spoke.