My Almost Perfect Life

I am happy with my life. I mean why wouldn't I be? I wake up and am greeted by the sound of slow traffic, their horns blaring, and the smell of the hot dog stand on the corner of the street. All the different smells and sounds drifted through my window tangled together sweeping the warm air out from my bedroom. I couldn't imagine a better place.  

"Georgia," My dad called out snapping my senses out of their daydream. I couldn't picture myself anywhere but New York City itself.

"I need to talk to you, it's something important," My dads voice shook, nothing would destroy my mood today. Especially not when I'm about to go to my friend, Ella's, house. I bounce down stairs as I throwed my long, thick, brown hair over my shoulder. I don't particularly like wearing my hair up unless I really have to. I don't need to straighten it at all, which saves a lot of time, because it's just naturally straight. I skipped down the hallway to the front door, forgetting that dad had even called my name.

"Georgia? Where are you going?" I stopped and spun around on our tiles with my old shoes that had basically lost all its grip to find dads head peering around the corner watching me. 

"I'm going to Ella's?" I said like I was just asking him if I was going not that I was going. Dad scared me sometimes, just with his personality and the way he looks at you, it's like his silent way of telling you off. That's the worst way to be told off. 

"I need to talk to you first," Dads voice went from being a tired man that had just awoken with a hangover, to a grouchy man that has been in the army for most of his life. I start taking steps toward dad until his face had disappeared back around the corner, then I picked up speed and slid along the rest of the tiled hallway. I reached out for the white wall to stop myself with falling flat on my face. As I spin around the corner into the kitchen I see dad at the table holding his head in the palm of his hands.

"Yes?" I bound down the single step that was basically the entrance to our black tiled kitchen. Our whole house was tiled, we only had rugs or mats over it so that the house was easier to clean up or something. I don't know why dad had the whole house tiled, it made living here more enjoyable for me anyway. 

"We.." dad paused and looked up at me, his voice smoothed out a bit, "We are going to..." Dad was interrupted with a knock at the front door. I didn't hesitate, I knew it was Ella. 

"Bye dad, we'll talk after," I shouted as I ran back down the hallway.

I slide along the floor towards the door and reach for the handle. It was freezing as I held tighter, turned the handle and flung the door out of my way almost tossing it off its hinges. I saw Ella standing there blond hair brushing off her face. Ella was the prettiest girl at school, I swear. All the boys believe she is; naturally straight hair, flawless complexion, slim body and a bubbly personality. Everyone believes she should be a model and that she would beat have the girls on The Next Top Model. I was always secretly jealous of Ella. Not majorly jealous, to the point where I wanted to kill her, but jealous where I disliked how she got all the attention because of how gorgeous was. 

"Hey," Ella always dragged out her 'hellos' when she spoke, I think it's just become habit. 

"Hey, are we still going to the movies?" I step outside and pull the door shut behind me.

"Yeah, I'm sure Fast and Furious 7 will be great!" Ella bounded down the driveway as I slowly followed.

"Yeah, it will be," I turned the corner out of my driveway as Ella stopped prancing and caught up to where I was strolling. The cool breeze blew through my hair and I walked even slower at this point. I was able to think when the weather was like this, the rain had finished and the sun was out. The refreshing fragrance floated across my face and brushed the hair from my face. I continued to stroll down towards the bus stop until my brain made me stop and stare blankly into space. I couldn't explain it and I think Ella saw my face and knew what I was thinking. I was tempted to ask her what she thought I was thinking but I couldn't, I opened my mouth and closed it with no words flying in between. I was really worried but suddenly my feet started moving and my thoughts started rushing through my head. 

We stood at the bus stop and Ella spoke her first word since the incident I still didn't know what was going on.

"What happened? Are you alright?" Ella put her hand on my shoulder, the warmth drifted through my skin and made me get goosebumps.

"Uh," My lip quivered as I tried to find the words that would represent my feelings at that exact moment, nothing, "I, uh," Another long paused just made Ella's face drop with confusion, "I, don't know," I finally finished what I was trying to say, even though it wasn't much to say, it really hurt me. 

"Do you still want to go to the movies?" Ella started to turn around attempted to walk back, I pulled at her arm and didn't let go.

"No, I want to go and the bus is here anyway," I say looking past Ella at the big green bus driving towards us, I let go of Ella's arm and wave out to the bus driver signaling him that we want to get on.

"Okay, I mean, if you really want to," Ella said back to me as she started up the steps, I followed in silence wondering about what had just happened only moments ago. We both sat in silence, I was looking out the window, my eyes flickering as trees, houses and a few people flew past. In the corner of my eye I could see Ella looking at me then looking straight ahead, her head was flopping side to side, I knew she was trying to stay quiet but, for Ella, that's almost impossible.

"So what are you going to do?" Ellas voice shook beside me as the bus flew over the speed bumps and all the little cracks in the road. 

"I'm going to watch the movie and I don't want to talk about this any more, if thats alright," I started bursting then softened my voice as I realised how I came across.