Regan sat back in her chair and took another sip of lemonade. Lord Hays' behavior towards Mr. Cranmer still baffled her. If the two men had any prior connection, they certainly made no show of it. Were the dark looks and irritation on Lord Hays' side merely to do with Mr. Cranmer's attention towards her? Was the older gentleman simply jealous?

A new worry struck her as she sat there, while Katharine and Miss Lane exchanged chit-chat - or rather, while Miss Lane spoke incessantly about a new song she had learned and would regale everyone with later in the week. Regan had only been here for two days. Barely two days. Had Mr. Cranmer's attentions towards her already caught the notice of Lord Hays? What if others had already taken notice?

Or perhaps she was seeing something where there was nothing. Perhaps Lord Hays had no interest in her whatsoever, aside from an acquaintance of a friendly nature. She had never put forward that she was in search of a husband. Indeed, she had no desire to marry again. Edmund's will made certain that she and the children would be taken care of, generous dowries provided for the girls when they decided to marry. Regan neither wanted nor needed a man in her life. She was only here now to see that Katharine found her way towards making a suitable match. And again, Mr. Winthrop crossed her vision, and she sighed.

Mr. Winthrop, with the thin, greying hair. Mr. Winthrop, who appeared to be Katharine's senior by at least two decades. Mr. Winthrop, who spoke about Egypt and history and all of the things Katharine adored. All of the things that would not make her a suitable wife for any of the men Regan had hoped would be more likely to snag her daughter's eye. Men who were younger, for one thing. Well, for nearly everything.

And they were to be guests here for another two weeks, at least. Two weeks of Lord Hays and Mr. Cranmer and watching Katharine become more steadily infatuated with a man old enough to be her father. Of course, such a choice for a marriage partner was not an uncommon thing. Most young women ended up with men who were older, more settled, ready for children and the stability of married life.

Men utterly unlike Mr. Cranmer. But before Regan's thoughts could circle back around, a call went up from one of the servants. The gentlemen had chosen lots and sorted themselves into teams. The shooting, it seemed, was about to begin.

***

There were four teams of three gentlemen each. The teams were aided by several servants, who would load the next shot so the participants needed only worry about taking up their musket, aiming, and firing. Mr. Cranmer and Mr. Winthrop were on the same team, while Lord Hays was positioned several yards away on a team that included Lord Polmerol and a younger gentleman who looked to have never held a firearm in his life.

Mr. Cranmer was first in his group to shoot. He hit the target, but far from the center. Unperturbed, he passed his weapon to the waiting servant who began the task of loading the barrel with fresh ball and powder.

Regan winced at each shot that was fired, the noise catching her off guard even though she expected it every time. Despite every attempt to give each gentleman a fair share of her attention, her eyes continually strayed back towards Mr. Cranmer, again and again, until she gave in and took to watching him even when it was no longer his turn to shoot.

It was Lord Hays' voice that broke the spell. He was arguing with one of the servants, and then with Lord Polmerol when that man attempted to intervene.

"What is happening?" Regan asked to anyone at her table who would provide an answer

"Lord Hays wishes to exchange his musket for a new one," Mrs. Lane provided, while fanning herself languidly with a lace-edged handkerchief.

"I believe that he is upset with his performance thus far and so has taken to blaming it on his gun," Katharine put in. "Though I do not think a new weapon will aid his chances. He does not hold himself well when he shoots. He is too stiff, and the line of his left arm affects his aim."