Entry 3: Ideas

What is in an idea? No, really. What makes up an idea in the mind?

Of course, you can take the generalist route when you think of it.

An idea is simply what you think; it's always happening.

But I don't believe it works that way. Perhaps we can see the things perceived every day as thoughts and enable ourselves to closely examine what an idea is.

On paper, it's not too difficult to understand what an idea is. It's a thought, manipulated and conjured to be put into action. Simple, right?

I thought of how to define ideas and came up with the idea of writing about it. That's quick, straightforward and key. 

The harder part is understanding how to categorize ideas. What constitutes as a good idea; what of the opposite?

Clearly, it's subjective.

I read a study when I was preparing for my ACT during my junior year of high school (the source of which I still have yet to find, as I have forgotten both the author and title since then) about the meaning of "good." It revolves around the notion that "good" itself is subjective and isn't a valid measurement of many things. Instead, it offered up the idea of it meaning functional. If something is good, it is functional. It is adequate. If I ever do find the article, I'll make sure to update this entry. It's quite an interesting read. (Edit: I've found the study! It is "The Nature of Goodness" by George Herbert Palmer.) But I digress.

A good idea, in these terms, is a functional idea. An idea that suits its purpose well. However, it's not that black and white.

I could be rambling nonsense. Maybe examining this holds no merit and isn't worth wondering about. It's, bluntly put, too broad a topic.

Nevertheless, I'm glad we took the time to ponder it.