Chapter 7 ~ Puzzling Emotions

“Took you long enough.” Yami laughed as he saw me approaching after school.

  “Sorry, I had to talk to my teacher.” I apologized quickly.

  “I was just teasing.” He said, messing with my hair, “You don’t have to take everything so seriously Yugi.”

  “Sorry.”

  “You don’t need to be sorry.”

  “Sorry…I mean…I don’t know…” I responded, holding onto my backpack straps tightly.

  Yami shook his head and chuckled under his breath and began walking, “Don’t worry about it. Anyway, do you know what’s up with Cassie?”

  “Huh?”

  “She wouldn’t talk to me in English; she sits next to me.” Yami shrugged, “She was a bit skitterish. I hope you’re treating her alright, though I don’t expect any bad from someone like you.”

  I shook my head and blushed, thinking back to what she told me this morning, “No, I’m good to her, at least I think so, but uh, before homeroom she told me that she loves me…” I smiled to myself. I couldn’t help it.

  “Really?” Yami laughed, “Even I’ve gotta say that’s a bit too fast…still, I think it’s good that she’s your first girlfriend.”

  “Why do you say that?”

  “Well, I mean, she’s a doll. You know, really nice, really pretty. Just like you.” He teased.

  “Oh shut up.” I said, shoving him over, accidentally knocking him off the sidewalk and into the road.

  A car bumped him and made him stumble back, greeting him with honking and a complaining driver. Yami smiled nervously and apologized, getting back onto the side walk and shoved me right back, this time not in the direction of the road, “Good job.”

  “I’m sorry.” I said quietly with much embarrassment.

  He laughed and messed my hair up again, “Nah, it wasn’t that bad. I should’ve been paying attention, you’re alright.”

  I smiled weakly. Truth is, I almost had a heart attack when that car bumped him. It bugged the hell out of me and I didn’t offer much to conversation after that. In fact, conversation just about stopped until we went inside the game shop.

  We made our way upstairs to my room and set up a duel in the middle of the floor. It lasted way too long and he was unlike anyone I had ever dueled against. He seemed to have the same love for his cards that I did and allowed them to make their way to the graveyard sparingly. He was not power-driven like Kaiba nor was he impulsive like Joey. He took his time. I almost admired him and the duel ended with my life points dropping to zero.

  “You beat me…” I said breathlessly.

  “Yeah, now I get to tickle the shit out of you.” Yami stated with a big grin.

  “Wha-“ I began to ask before I was tackled to the floor, trying to shove him off me, “Quit it!” I couldn’t stop from giggling. He was a lot stronger than me and he had me pinned to the ground in no time.

  “Mercy!” I finally shouted, out of breath from all the uncontrollable laughter.

  He smiled and let go of me, but it was his mistake. I tackled him and tickled him right back. I got him and pinned him, though he seemed to be just as tired from trying to pin me first. I stopped, as I was out of breath as soon as I got him pinned.

  A little too late, I realized that we were a little too close. I could feel his breath, which smelled something like peppermint. His eyes were large and gorgeous like Cassie’s bright green ones, but his were a intense red-violet. He came closer and it took me a second to realize he was kissing me. I couldn’t move.

  He pulled back and looked at me, blushing as hard as I probably was. He smiled a bit sadly, “I’m sorry…I didn’t mean…” He averted his eyes.

  I put my hands on the sides of his face. I had no idea what I was doing, suddenly so wrapped up in the moment and how soft his lips had felt. I kissed him again. His hands found their way to my waist and I realized what the hell I was doing and jumped off of him.

  “Yugi…” He spoke up quietly; his voice sounded like something was caught in his throat.

  I sat down on my bed, slowly, with my hands over my mouth, with all of it slowly sinking in. He stared right at me then looked away as he grabbed his deck and stood up.

  “I’ll leave.” He stated, “I-I’m really sorry.” He was shaking. He didn’t seem like the kind of guy to become so vulnerable all of a sudden. 

  I wanted to say something but all the words just got caught in my throat. I couldn’t quite understand why I did that, I mean I’ve been head over heels for Cassie for the past week. I wanted nothing more than to make her happy but in a moment I had just broken her heart.

  He left before I could collect myself. I wasn’t even sure if I would have, after he left I started crying really hard, I couldn’t stop myself. I pulled the millennium puzzle off and started taking it apart. I knew it was silly to blame a stupid wish, but in the moment I felt like I needed something to blame other than myself, and I couldn’t blame Yami for kissing me in the first place. It was my fault for enjoying it, after all.

~

  I walked to school alone the next day. I didn’t even see Yami on the way there, but I figured it was better that way anyway. I hope he had feigned illness or something. I didn’t know if I could even handle seeing Cassie today, after all.

  It must’ve been plain on my face that I hadn’t slept all night and something was on my mind, because all of my friends looked worried when they saw me.

  “What’s up Yug’?” Joey asked, frowning.

  I shook my head, “Nothing…I just couldn’t sleep last night.” Anzu looked like she wanted to say something, there had been something off about her all week and all of a sudden it pissed me off, “Spit it out Anzu.”

  Everyone looked a bit more than surprised. She looked anywhere but at me, “What do you want me to say?”

  “You like me, don’t you?”

  She looked more than offended and she came up to me like she was going to slap me, but she dropped her hand. She shook her head, “It’s not that at all. I’m not the one to tell you anything. You need to talk to Cassie for that.”

  My gut twisted as she walked away as if she had been emotionally drained. I shouldn’t have taken out my crankiness at her. Whatever was going on was probably my fault, maybe I hadn’t been paying enough attention to other people’s emotions.

  “What’s up with her?” Tristan asked.

  “I dunno, we should probably leave her alone…anyways, where’s Yami?” Joey said.

  I shrugged slowly, “Probably just sick or something…”

  “Cassie’s not here either.” Tristan noted.

  “Huh. Weird. You’re not wearing the puzzle either.” Joey commented, pointing at me.

  “Yeah…I, uh, didn’t want to today…it hurts my neck…” I lied.