Arch was about to smack the living daylight out of the man, but just then, a firm, deep voice shouted, "Halt!"

Arch turned to see Jay Holden, the Captain of the Royal Guard. He was wearing his armor, and his sword was drawn, ready for any attack. He had five Guards with him, all with various weapons, all in glinting armor.

After taking a quick look around the room and Arch's raised hand, threatening to hit the fat man in the corner, Jay thought that Arch had hurt this girl.

"I'll take care of this," Jay said gruffly.

Arch seemed to realize that the Guard thought that he was the abuser, not Myrna. "No, sir, you don't understand-"

One of the Guards strode up to Jay and whispered something in his ear. Jay listened.

"Who are you?" Jay asked. "I had one of my Guards set up nearby the minute I dropped this girl off. He saw you running towards this house like a mad-man. He saw you coming toward this house before he could even send someone to alert me. What was your business here?"

"I heard the screaming," Arch said breathlessly.

"I don't think there was a person in town that didn't," a Guard said gruffly. He was punched forcefully on his exposed arm by one of the other men.

"But why would you be so desperate to reach this girl?" Jay asked, back on task. "Who is she to you?"

"I met her in the market today," Arch began.

"You too? She certainly leaves an impression on you, doesn't she?" Jay laughed lightly, then turned to Daxtor Myrna, still cowering in the corner. He gestured to one of his men. "Take him away. He'll have to have a trial with the King and Queen for violating one our land's most sacred laws." His voice was cold and hard, and it sent shivers down Daxtor's spine.

Two Guards strode forward and roughly pulled the shaking man to his feet, his small, jerky movements causing his stomach to jiggle. Arch noticed that one of them was the same who had whispered in the Captain's ear a few moments ago. They grabbed Daxtor, one shoulder and one wrist to each Guard, and escorted him away.

Once the fat man was gone, Arch knelt down by Zia, examining her hurt body. First, he moved her arms and legs into a more comfortable position, Zia moaning in protest of begin moved and the pain of having her fresh wounds disturbed.

Arch had no idea where to begin. She was so covered in cuts and bruises that he didn't know where one wound stopped and the next one began. He was no crack-shot at injuries, and now he was wishing that he could be better help to Zia.

Jay strode forward and put a friendly hand on the farmer's shoulder. "I think it would be best to take her to the town healer." His tone was light and kind, but also held an undertone of demand. He wasn't suggesting it, he was ordering it.

 Arch nodded.

Jay gestured to one of the three men still with him. "Percival, go get him."

The Guard named Percival nodded and ran swiftly into the dark, cold night.

Jay turned back to Arch. "I'm not the best of healers, but I can tell that with a little treatment and a lot of rest, she'll be fine."

Arch nodded, and turned away so that Jay couldn't see the tears glistening in his eyes. How could someone be so cruel to someone so innocent?

It was silent for a long time, until the sound of a wagon pulling up outside and the call of a horse was heard through the silence.

Percival reentered the house with a small, balding man in tow. He was very short, only a few inches taller than Zia would've been if she were standing. He carried the medical bag that all healers had. His hair was thin and wispy and did very little to cover his shiny scalp. The healer's eyes were bright blue, and were very nervous. Being called to the house of the town drunk in the middle of the night by the Royal Guard was not his idea of fun.