The Package

Danni's POV

I still cannot believe how many parents reacted to the news about the woman I love.

I mean, how dare they judge her and make assumptions that she had seduced me.

They really didnt know me at all, it was me that did the seducing.

All this scene was playing out in my head and then as if an invisible force struck I stopped and then realised.

My parents loved me, they were trying to protect me. After all they had met Nikki twice before and I gave no indication as to the close relationship between the two of us and so it was with a heavy heart that I ended up listening to them and keeping my distance.

*

I was sat at home on the comfy sofa watching some archaic television programme when my senses were alerted by the ringing of the doorbell.

I looked across to the kitchen where my mother was busy cooking breakfast, she looked back in wonder...

"Go on then, answer the door"

"But what if it is Nikki?"

Mum looked at me and with hands on hips pouted at me..

"Danni, she will be in school right now".

I got up and walked to the door, opened it up and was confronted with a familiar figure, the mailman.

He looked into my eyes while fingering a white package in his hands...

"Is there a Danielle Matthews here?"

Oh great he had to use my sunday name but with a slight indignation and trying to look as though I was not bothered I answered.

"That would be me"

He smiled before producing a booklet and pen..

"Sign here please"

I took the pen and scribbled across the paper before handing it back to him.

"Thanks, and this is yours"

He handed the package to me and turned around and I then closed the door and stood looking at the package with mooted interest.

Mum hollered from the kitchen.

"What you got there?"

"Dunno, I didnt order anything"

She giggled before moving closer to me and peered at the package.

"Take a look at the postmark"

I looked at the corner and saw a circle which clearly announced the package had come from Manchester and in that instant my eyes lit up.

"You dont think??"

"Open it Danni"

Mum passed me the letter opener and I tore through the brown paper and prepared myself for what lay within.

It was a prospectus which didnt really tell me much until I saw a plain piece of paper within the first page, I picked that up and scanned its contents....

My eyebrows shot up...

"I got in"

Mum looked at me with a smile.

"You dont seem too happy"

"Yeah I am, but just never expected that I would be good enough to get into University".

"Im so proud of you".

"Oh thanks mum but if it wasnt for Nikki, I wouldnt have even got this chance"

There was a stoned silence which lasted a few seconds but felt like hours..

"Well Danni, go to the school and tell your girl"

I looked at her in shock but saw the delight on her face and the genuine sincerity of what she was saying.

"Thank you mum, I think I will go and do that now"