Part I Chapter One Weeds & Wedlock

Start from the beginning

"Tonight." I plopped down on the bed and touched my bare neck. "He might even give me jewels."

"He'll want to give you more than that after the wedding." Pricilla glanced at my belly.

"Babies." I looked down, imagined my stomach rounded like an inflated pila that the boys kicked about in the fields. "Will I be a good mother and wife?"

Pricilla shook her head. "You will not be good at all."

My eyes widened. "Why?"

Pricilla twisted her mouth, a mischievous gleam in her eye. "You'll be nothing less than excellent."

I sighed. "Am I ready for such responsibilities?" I wanted to make my husband happy and Father proud.

"No woman is ever really ready. You worry too much." Pricilla folded the stola, set it aside. Has Dominus told you anything about this man?"

"Only that his first two wives died." I recalled the first time Father mentioned negotiations with Faustinus.

"He's old."

I grimaced. "Don't say that. He might be young." But Pricilla had never been wrong before. About anything.

Ten years ago, Father purchased the fourteen-year-old Pricilla to take care of me after Mother's death. As the years passed, Pricilla's duties changed, from nursemaid to tutor to handmaid to confidante. Although a servant, Pricilla's position in the household was less burdensome than those with lesser skills.

Pricilla was educated. She taught me to read, write, and calculate sums despite Father's belief that women had little use for such learning. I disagreed with him. I loved reading Plato and Socrates. Found delight in answering questions correctly. Found even more delight in solving riddles or equations. My studies were useful! It gave me satisfaction.

"As long as he's not veryold," I said.

Pricilla narrowed her eyes. "How old is very old?"

"Wrinkled and gray."

"Family Parisii is too wealthy to permit anything less than an advantageous financial match." Pricilla squeezed my fingers. "Prepare yourself. Faustinus will be old and wrinkled and you will lay with him and bear his children."

I chewed on my lip. "Did you ever lay with an old man?"

Although it was not men Pricilla favored.

Pricilla was beautiful, with amber eyes and ivory skin taut over athletic limbs. More than once she hinted at the other servants' jealousy over our friendship. I thought it more likely they were envious that Pricilla was permitted to leave the estate, earned a few coins from her herbal remedies, and engaged in indiscriminate behavior with like-minded women. I adored Pricilla and her affairs did not prevent me from loving her as much as my own family. In truth, her boldness made her more endearing.

"I did. Long ago. I was forced to be with several displeasing men. More than several. I dare say I had my fill of men." Pricilla's eyes hardened with memory.

"I'm sorry." I pressed my lips together. Pricilla did not like being reminded of her former master, a man with a vile temper who treated his servants with contempt.

"It's the past." Pricilla shrugged. "Will you take me to your new home?"

"Of course. We will both need you."

"We?"

"Yes, because if Faustinus is as old as you suspect, you'll have to give him a tonic to increase his virility, and I'll need one to make me a willing wife." I hid my worry with a giggle.