Chapter 27

Virgil, Scott, and Gordon got called out before Alan and Kayo made it home. Brains went down to his lab. Maria moved to sit next to Sally. They were alone in the lounge.

"How are you doing?" Maria asked.

"I'm so glad you're home. I was getting tired of being helpless and needy so the boys could appreciate you when you got back."

"You didn't have to do that! You've all been more than appreciative and generous to me. You probably should have just found a replacement."

"Are you kidding? Not only would Virgil have disowned me, but where was I ever going to find another nurse that would endure torture to protect my family the way you did? It's not like I can even ask that kind of question in an interview."

Maria sighed. "I didn't protect anything. He got everything off my tablet and then I blabbed even more when I was drugged."

Sally patted Maria's hand. "You only put information on your tablet because Kayo told you it was safe. You said nothing wrong, not even when you were drugged. Besides, there's one big secret you did protect: my Truflun's."

"Only because he didn't ask about it. I'm sure I would have spilled that just like I spilled everything else if he had mentioned anything to get me started." Maria looked around. "But should you be talking about that in here? Isn't this room bugged?"

"It was, but not anymore. I had Kayo take down all the cameras. I'm sorry we had to do that."

"Don't be. It's your house. You had every right. The only thing I would have done differently if I had known was my silly sing alongs. But then Virgil might never have fallen in love with me." Maria smiled at the thought.

Sally smiled back. "He told you then."

Maria nodded. "I still can hardly believe it. Maybe this is all a dream and I'm actually in a coma or dead."

Sally scoffed. "If this is your dream, could you imagine me up some more strength? Oh, and I'd like to be ten years younger."

They both shared a chuckle.

Maria continued, "Speaking of Truflun's, you were very smart not to come into the biocontainment room at Vektor."

"Smart? Pshaw! I just didn't want to put on one of those plastic suits." She winked. "They didn't have one in purple."

"The doctor told me to take it easy and Virgil pretty much threatened to take me back to Russia if I didn't follow doctor's orders, so what are your priorities for me?"

"Right now, the bathroom!"

"Oh! Of course." Maria offered her hand. Sally took it and stood with her help. Maria didn't feel unsteady, so everything was good.

"As for priorities," Sally said as the walked toward the restroom, "you getting better and helping me is number one. I've been exaggerating my weakness with the boys just a little, to show them how hard you work, but it hasn't been much of a stretch. When we ran out of leftovers you had saved, Alan took me shopping and we stocked up on frozen foods that anybody can heat up, so no one has had to cook. That stash should last another three or four days. You can add some of your magic to those as you feel ready. You are absolutely forbidden to clean anything right now. The boys can clean up after themselves and Brains volunteered MAX to take up any other slack."

"What about laundry?" They arrived at the bathroom, where Maria waited outside while Sally did her business.

Sally left the door open a few centimetres and continued the conversation. "I haven't been down there, but I'm sure it's a disaster. Everyone has been pretty busy with you out of commission and Virgil not around."

Sally's Secretजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें