The Seas of Caladan

The young servant gestured for the man to wait by the balcony. There he stood atop that marble structure overlooking the setting sun that watched over Caladan, the orange and red tones reflecting of the water surface as if an ever-moving mirror. He watched the inconstant shore come and go, the water advancing before reclining leaving wet sands and rocks in its wake. From far off, he could see the silhouette and visage of departing Frigates which emerged from undersea bunkers and hangers, breaking the surfaces of the seas of Caladan, scaring off whatever sea birds that flew around trying to find whatever schools of fish that just so happened to enter their sights.

"Commander."

He turned his head to find a short man stepping out of the shadows. He wore a simple green cloak and had the crest of the Atredies attached to his right breast. At first, the man looked rather eccentric, he had red stained lips, cracked cheeks and he wore his facial hair in a manner that made it appear as if he had detonated an explosive right infront of his face.

"A fresh face to serve House Atredies, always a welcome event!" The man said, his voice was deep in tone yet somewhat coarse. He sounded of an ancient man, filled with experience and wisdom, unbound by the limitations of his age and seemed fairly friendly. It was then he had realised who this man was. A Mentat! A living machine, trained to possess unparralled cognitive thinking and computer-like calculation, their minds bearing vast repositories of information and memories.

"I am Linar Gere, Mentat and Master of Assassins to the Lady Atreides." He said, bowing slightly. It was a sign of openess and the man shall return the favour.

"I am Achillus Dorn," He replied, noting that he had no position or title to speak of, truly he was a fresh face.

There was a silence, the Mentat carefully scanning his facial expressions, body posture and actions. A test? He wondered. One could never be too sure these days, assassins could lurk behind every shadow, a knife in the back may come from anyone, even from the hand of a trusted fellow.

"To cast your lot with us when you could gain the wealth of the Harkonnen or the favour of the Ordos perhaps shows some of your valour and virtue." Linar said, smiling as he walked past Achillus, looking outwards towards the sea, hearing the melody of the seas and choir of sea birds. His back turned away from Achillus who turned as the Mentat walked, finding himself facing towards the sea again.

"May I inquire into what you think of this?" Linar asked in calm and almost intimate tones as the flight of Frigates rose higher and higher into the atmosphere, before disappearing into the many clouds that hang over Caladan.

"Sea power and air power." Achillus replied. He had studied the Atredies before, they were amongst the many curiosities of the Universe, a House known for loyalty and honour whilst their counterparts were known for brutality and betrayal. Their strength stemming from their alliances and elite core of fighters, adapted to fighting in whatever environment and learning the ways of the natives.

"You would learn to swim on Caladan by diving headfirst into the cold waters." The Mentat turned to face the Commander, his face being disguised by the shadow cast by the setting sun preventing Achillus from making out his expressions, yet he could hear a certain familiarity in his voice.

"However, I fear your time here would be short." He continued,"Normally the Duchess and I would be the ones who greeted you along with the usual retinue, the Warmaster, Swordmaster and perhaps even the Doctor. However, these are uncertain times Achillus."

"Are you familiar with the planet Arrakis?" The Mentat asked.

Arrakis? Arrakis! The desert planet which was home to the Geriatric Spice, Melange. A single suitcase filled with the Spice could be worth entire populated planets, it could turn whole armies against their leaders, it may even buy out the favour of the numerous Guilds of the Imperium. What has this got to do with the Atredies?

"I am sure you are aware of the recent passing of the Padishah Emperor. It seems that in his absence the Guild has taken it upon themselves to decide the fate of the Imperium. Houe Corrino is incapacitated, the Imperial Sardaukar is left leaderless and the Imperium at large is ready for civil war."

"What does this have to do with Arrakis?" Achillus asked as even from the shadows, the Mentat grew a visible slight grin.

"A War of Assassins." He said.

A war of assassins. He studied such forms of warfare before, a war between houses upon a strict set of rules set aside by the Great Convention and was limited in its impact and scope. The Guild ensured that these terms and restrictions were adhered too, less one is ready to experience a restriction on imports of spice or to meet the other end of an atomic bombardment.

"And what better planet to wage this war then on Arrakis itself, homeworld of the Spice Melange and the most strategically important planet in the whole of the Imperium. The most hostile world in the whole Imperium save for Salusa Secundus." The Mentat expression turned sour as he recalled the homeworld of the feared Imperial Sardaukar.

"I expect that is where I shall be deployed too?" Achillus postulated, making his deductions and assuming that the Atredies would, rightfully, deploy what assets they could to this battle.

"It is a forboding world, where there are storms of sand that eat the skins of your bones and grind those bones to dust, it would be as if you never existed. A perfect land to begin one's training." The Mentat paused, observing Achillus as he found the commander seemingly taken aback by his words. 

"But frett not Achillus, do your duty well and you shall be awarded justly. But first, you must learn how to do your duty. Come, we leave within the hour."