Chapter 1 - First Meeting

En başından başla

“SARGE!” I yelled sticking my head out the door. “CALL AN AMBULANCE! REED! I NEED YOUR HELP! IT'S MALLOY!” I ran over to the fallen officer, to lockers he had collapsed in front of, and checked his vitals. Reed came bursting in the door. “Write down what I tell you,” I said. “Pulse, 170 and thready. Respiration, 30 and shallow.” 

“Got it,” Reed replied, writing it down. “What happened?” He asked as I checked Malloy over.

“Did he hit his head on your last call?”

“Yeah, but only a little bump. Why?”

“No little bump, Reed, this looks like concussion material here. Also, it looks like he sliced his arm pretty bad. Possible fractured leg.”

“Terrific. I ask him if the guy cut him with the knife, he says no. I ask him if he hurt his leg when he fell, he says no again. And what happens, he passes out.”

“I need you to find something stiff we can splint his leg with. Also bandages for his arm.”

“Got it!” Reed ran off and came back with some cardboard and the Sergeant who was carrying the first aid kit.

“Thanks. Can you guys take care of his leg? I'll bandage his arm.”

“Sure thing,” MacDonald said. By the time we'd finished, the ambulance had arrived. “Would you like to ride in with him, Reed? I'm giving you and Blair the rest of the shift off,” The Sergeant asked. 

“Uh, yeah,” Reed said distractedly. “Erin, would you mind following us to the hospital?”

“I wouldn't mind but I don't have a car. I carpooled with McWhirter, Milner, and McCord.”

“Oh, well, you can drive my car if you want,” He replied, handing me his keys.

“Alright. I'll meet you at Central Receiving then.”

“Erin,” MacDonald said. After they wheeled Malloy away with Reed following. “You may want to grab your soft clothes before you go. I'm also giving you permission to go into Reed's locker and grab his too.”

“Thanks, Sarge

“Thanks, Sarge. Yeah, I'll do that.” I collected the necessary items and headed out to Reed's car once I asked the Sargent which car was his. Once I got to the hospital and found Reed, I didn't really know what to do. 

“Hey,” He said seeing me walk into the otherwise empty waiting room. 

“So, how's he doing?” I asked, sitting next to him. I heard a sniffle and a quiet sob. I looked up from my hands realized that he'd been crying. I put a hand on his shoulder. “It's OK, let it out.”

“He's in surgery right now. I guess the fracture in his leg was worse than we thought.”

“I'm so sorry, Jim,” I said, putting my arm around him. I started to feel a bit teary myself.

“I don't want to lose him,” Jim said. “I've already almost lost him a few times. Like the time when he TA’d in Griffith Park without me and we couldn't find him. But,” Jim paused.

“What is it, Jim?”

“This,” He took a deep breath. “This is different. I don't know why but, it just feels worse. It seems to get worse every time I almost lose him. It gets harder and harder to deal with.” 

“Hey, how about we get changed into our soft clothes real quick then we can wait more comfortably,” I suggested. Jim nodded, I handed him his clothes and we went to change. When we came back, we sat next to each other on the small couch in the waiting room. I leaned against him some, feeling him rest his head atop mine. There wasn't much to say or do, just waiting. I had just dozed off when Jim got up. I sat up, rubbing my eyes. 

“Is everything alright, Jim?” I asked sleepily.

“I think so, but I wanted to go check,” Jim replied nervously. I nodded and got up to follow him. We headed to the nurse's station but there was no nurse at the desk. 

“Ah! There you are!” A voice said from behind us. 

“Doctor! How's P-” I stopped myself briefly, not sure if I was on a first name basis yet. “How's Officer Malloy?”

“He's fine. The surgery went well. He's awake now if you'd like to see him. He does need his sleep so you can't stay too long but,”

“Which room?” Jim asked, interrupting the Doctor. 

“210,” He replied. Without a further word said, Jim took off down the hallway. 

“Thanks!” I said quickly to the Doctor before bolting myself. As I approached the door, though, I slowed. 'Would Malloy even want to see me? Jim probably needs his time with him anyway. I won't barge in.” I thought. I turned and started back to the waiting room. 

“Erin!” Jim called out. I turned and saw him waving me over to the room. The smile on his face couldn't be bigger. “Please come in. Pete wants to see you.”

“Me?” I mouthed, pointing at myself. Jim nodded and pulled me in.

“Erin Blair! My hero!” Malloy said as I walked in. 

“Oh, I'm really not a hero, Officer Malloy.”

“Offi-Erin, are you on a first name basis with my partner yet?”

“Yes, sir,” I replied confused.

“Then drop the 'sir’ and 'officer’ bit, will ya?” 

“Yes, si-, uh, Pete,” I replied, slightly embarrassed. We sat for a while more talking with Pete. Jim and I pulled two chairs up next to Pete's bed so we could chat. After a while, though, I got pretty tired but they were still talking so I leaned on Jim's shoulder and fell asleep. The last thing I remembered was Jim putting his arm around my shoulders and wrapping his jacket around me.

Pete's POV

“Lucky for you I can't think of any laws against that,” I said, grinning at Jim and the young lady on his shoulder.

“Against what, Pete?”

“Fraternizing with your co-workers.”

“Now look here, Pete. I just met her today, alright? Besides, I think it's a bit too soon for me.”

“That I understand, Jim. Sorry, I shouldn't have pushed ya.”

“No, you didn't push. I,” Jim paused. “I'd be lying if I said I didn't think she's wonderful. But,”

“It's OK, Jim,” I stopped him. “You do what you need. Now, why don't you two head out before the nurses throw you out for keeping me up?”

“Oh! Yeah! Sorry about that. We'll see you tomorrow, Pete.” 

“See you tomorrow, partner.” Jim then picked Erin up bridal style and headed to the door. 

“She's had a long day. I don't want to wake her,” Jim said looking over his shoulder at me. I smiled, nodding. Once Jim left, I laid back and smiled knowingly.

“One day.”