The Day The Gas Came

It was when the sun was at its highest, the breeze of the wind coming towards us, you could say a perfect day but what I said on that day "So it's true not just some illusion or spell." because out in the distance me and all my men that weren't inside the fortress saw a giant green cloud over the horizon coming towards us. I knew an attack would happen but not this type. The tales the allies told that spread like fire in a dried forest, they said that they survived this type of attack only because of a special mask they all had, but us we didn't have those all we had were weapons, armor, and bandages, so I shouted to all my men "Cover your mouth and nose with the bandages, we have death gas coming at us!" as I wrap my face i grew worry if there was enough for five battalions, but as we were runing out the ones that couldn't get any ripped pieces of cloth from there cots, as a commander I was upset but happy that they did that because the tales of the how the gas kills is frightening enough. I looked back to the cloud of death and it was closing in and it was at least two minutes away so with that I checked my battalions to make sure they're armored and covered, with that I dawn on my helm, grab my halberg and move outside to the front lines, as the gas was thirty seconds away I shout to everyone that could here me through my muffled voice "BE READY BECAUSE TODAY, IT MAYBE OUR LAST BUT LET US MAKE SURE THEY NEVER FORGET THIS DAY!" with my words of encouragement to lift the morale of troops the gas covers us. It was a massacre I thought that the cloth would help but it didn't do a damn thing besides keeping blood and pieces of my lung inside my mouth, I look over and we're just dropping like colony of ants V.S a fucking flood of lava. All my troops in the fortress were runing out coughing and dying, I was doing the same damn thing, Soon it was to much and I just fell and darkness overcame. When I reawoken I look around and see nothing but dead soilders and on that very horizon where the death cloud came from I see the enemy marching towards this fortrest that me and my men been defending for years and I won't allow them to ruin their years of defending. As I rise to standing leaning on my halberg I shout to the dead corpses "Rise my comrades rise and fight let them think twice before they use gas agian!" But nothing moved so I took off my helm and dropped it next to me on the ground reveling the blood soaked bandages over my face and continued to shout "COME COMRADES LET'S FIGHT AND DIE WITH GLORY FOR THOSE WHO CANNOT RISE FOR THEMSELVES, AND LET THE ENEMY KNOW THAT OUR WILL IS STRONGER THEN THEIRS! THAT WE CANNOT DIE SO EASILY LET US FIGHT TO THE VERY END, AND LET THEM NEVER TO FORGET THIS VERY DAY, THIS VERY MOMMENT! SO I SAY TO YOU AGIAN COMRADES RISE AND FIGHT!!!" With those words I was breathing heavy praying to the gods that at least one will rise so I won't have to face this alone... to my prayers some begin to move and grasped there weapons and rised. One man next to me grabbed ahold to the maximinus automatic ready to fire but I told him in a clam whisper "hold comrade we have the suprise let us use it, so we can rise and regroup and after that then you may" with my orders he held his fire as we waited I look back and see the enemy halfway and looking confused because they finally notice me standing with the help of my halberg and I see the sun is to our backs now and after a minute those who have risen are now in place two on maximinus and the rest behind me a total of at least a hundred men enough for a counter attack, I see they all are in the same condition as me, bloody bandages and are at death door but we aren't knocking yet. If I didn't attack we would lose the element of suprise, so with that in my mind I slammed my halberg three time signaling the gunners to fire and they didn't hold back. To see the enemy freakout was amusing to say the least, I did the only thing that I could scooped up my helm and as I put it on I shouted "CHARGE!!!" We ran at them and if the enemy wasn't scared after the fire of two maximinus then they were now, to see at least a hundred men covered in bloody bandages and running with the intention to kill, charge at them some would think it was thanks to a necromancer but they were to fast to be some lowly zombie it was thanks to the will of men. The will to fight and to die, to avenge those who died because of the death cloud. It was beautiful to see the enemy with their special mask to run away in horror to see us. We managed to kill a few of them as they ran but not as many as I wished but it was ok because we saw some of them getting trampled by their own men or died slowly from their own death wire. It was worth it to see them run so fast and far from the fortress we have defended even at deaths door we will defend. After we were happy with the distance they ran I looked back to my men as they cheered but after a few seconds of cheering we all started coughing agian I look to my men and said "when you start knocking on deaths door do not be afraid *cough* *cough* BECAUSE WE DEFEND THIS LAND SO WE SHALL DIE WITHOUT FEAR!" With those final word from that battle I looked at all of them remaining as they died but I was pleased we defended this fortrest one last time and to die with my men, with that I blacked out.