PROLOGUE

"you may have fight a battle more than once towin it

win it." -?
________

CORALIA UNDERFELL was the victor of the 66th Hunger Games. She was fifteen when she won; her mentor the same age. She had been the sweet, innocent girl from District Four, who ended up outliving twenty-three others. It was all thanks to Finnick Odair. She was above average with a trident until her games. Finnick made her perfect. Coralia had killed five people in her games, and it haunted her still. The arena that year had been like a compass. The North side of the arena was freezing, with deep snow, and slick ice. The South side was a hot desert; it was unbearable. The West side was a forest, but she never went there - she stayed in the East. It had the most water, and reminded her of home.

It was a close call; Coralia almost didn't win.

It came down to her and a girl from District Seven. They were fighting in the North side of the Arena; the blood from their cuts falling onto the snow. The girl from 7 had lodged her ax into Coralia's stomach, but with all of the strength she had left, Coralia pulled it out, and slammed the ax down on the tribute's head. Coralia had collapsed before the hovercraft had picked her up. It was a nasty injury, but they were able to save her.

When she returned home, she wasn't the same. She tried to act like she was, but the fact that she had killed five people kept her up at night.

She lived in Victor's Village with her father and older sister, right across from Finnick.

Finnick had been the one to comfort her when she had nightmares. Orian and Marina tried, but they didn't know what she was going through. There were many nights where she'd sneak out of her own home and knock on Finnick's door, where he'd hold her until she fell asleep.

Finnick warned her about the Capitol; what they had done to him, and what they would do to her. He hoped that they would leave her alone, but just the same as him, President Snow threatened to kill Coralia's family if she didn't do as he pleased.

Coralia talked to her family, but she felt as if the only person she could confide in was Finnick. This created an unbreakable bond.