C H A P T E R T H R E E

Start from the beginning

But things in Hawkins were back to what was considered normal, and in normal days, Nancy Wheeler and Penelope Christensen would never be caught dead hanging out with the other. So, they continued onward, skirting around each other like nothing had ever happened, even when one became the topic of the other's conversation. The words, "Nancy Wheeler needs to go back to the hole she crawled out of," echoed in her ears as a conspicuously jealous and obviously bitter Dana D'Amico slammed a red lunch tray onto the table. Her eyes were glued to the lunch line, where Steve Harrington and Nancy Wheeler were ogling at the other, laughing, and chatting, and looking so dearly in love, and her face did not appear happy to see it.

Her gaze turned to Nel, who was watching in shock, and said, "Do they think they're cute or something? Because all they make me do is want to puke." She fell into her seat, aggressively unwrapping the sandwich she bought, and continued to complain about a boy she dated almost two years ago. "I literally cannot walk the halls without seeing Steve at her locker." The lunch table was empty at the moment aside from the two best friends, or else Dana would never reveal her true feelings about the couple. As soon as Carol, Tina, Ally, and even Molly would get there, Penelope knew Dana would swiftly shut up and resume conversation with something else at the head. For now, it was just Penelope, and she was all ears.

"I know," Penelope groaned, feigning annoyance. She tore open the brown paper bag that sat in front of her and eyed the sandwich that was inside. It was oozing a purple grape jam that she had no desire to consume, and the corners weren't cut off of the bread as she liked them to be.

"Like, doesn't he have his own fricken locker?" Dana muttered, biting into her lunch, peering over to where they stood, and rolling her eyes one last time. Penelope tried to hide her amusement as she watched her best friend's eyes, pointed and narrowed at the couple. The look she gave them could kill, and she, not wanting Dana to see her laugh at it, quickly looked down at her food, lips curling at what she had to eat.

"I can't believe my mom actually thinks I want to eat this," she complained, picking the bread off to look at the insides of her sandwich. "I don't even know what this is," she said as she wrapped it back up and pushed it aside, "but it's disgusting."

Dana's eyes suddenly lit up, all traces of anger sliding away as she exclaimed, "Oh my god, look who it is!" At the sound of her friend's voice, Penelope turned around, head peeking up in search of the reason for Dana's excitement. "It's him," Dana cheered, brushing her hair down with her fingers.

Penelope scanned the lunchline and lunchroom, brows furrowed, until she locked eyes on the denim wearing, mulleted boy that lit the world on fire with his arrival this morning. It was Billy Hargrove in all his glory, striding into the cafeteria with a shit-eating grin on his gorgeous face. Nel groaned at the sight of him, uninterested in his cocksure swagger and misty blue eyes, and turned back to face Dana, who was sure enough fanning herself at his appearance. As if she wasn't already annoyed with all of the unbearable amount of attention he was being given, the rest of girls came fluttering to the table, giddy whispers and squeals decorating the air. They set their trays down and immediately began gossiping.

"Ladies, ten o'clock," Tina chirped, fixing her blouse and licking her lips. All of the girls started situating themselves too, pulling out pocket mirrors and combs to make sure they looked good enough for the new boy. Penelope couldn't find the humor in their behavior, in their obsession for the boy. She couldn't relate to them in anyway, and found it slightly embarrassing that they were all so infatuated with him. She knew she was different than her friends, who were all exceptionally normal and similar to each other in obvious ways, but she didn't think it was to the point that they were fawning all over someone and she was completely disconnected from it.