Story 3: Part I

"Kitney din key liye ayi ho beta" Fazilat chachi asked Zubiya. Zubiya was in Karachi for Fazilat chachi's daughter Sana's engagement party. The would be groom worked with Rehan bhai and Rehan had offered to host the engagement ceremony from his home. He had inherited their Abbi's business acumen and ammi's generosity. This was his way of strengthening business relations and also helping less fortunate relatives."Bus chachi 4-5 din, hospital main kaam bahut hota hay to ziada chutti nahi hay" Zubiya responded to her chachi."Hum ney to suna tha hospital tumhare shohar ka hay, apney shohar sey kiya chutti lena?" Sheema bhabi's mother taunted."Ammi ap ko pata hay na ajkal, hospital main kaam karo to rishteydaron ko bolo apna hay. Factory main job karo to apney ap ko malik batao. Kon itna dur ja kar check kar raha hay ke hospital kiska hai" Sheema bhabi responded to her mother. She hated that fact that Rehan bhai and Zubiya's relationship was improving. It drove her crazy to see Zubiya married into a wealthy family and how she was valued and respected by her in-laws"Sheema!!!" Rehan bhai called her from the other room. Sheema did not realize that he was home and had gone ahead with her usual taunting.

"Apni maa ko bata do ke agar party attend karni hay to tameez sey rahein, warna woh ja sakti hain. Or tum mat bhoolo ke main ney tumhein kiya kaha hai. Agar tum Zubiya ke peeche lagi to tum bhi apna bag pack karo or jao unkey saath" Rehan had come home early to check on the engagement arrangements when he heard his wife and her family discussing his sister's life. He was grateful to Asfand for uniting him with his sister. He observed the changes in Zubiya and he knew they were brought on by Asfand's love and his family's affection towards her. She was still respectful and polite and didn't say much when people questioned her life or character. However now she was no longer meek or afraid, she had this serene confidence about herself where she knew her worth and did not need validation from other people. He did not wish for his sister to lose her self-worth and go back into her shell.

"Bhai?" Zubiya stood at their bedroom door. "Main Sana ko lekar shopping jaon? ap driver ko keh dengey?" Zubiya asked him. "Haan beta jao, ruko yeh paisey rakh lo" He opened his drawer to get some money out. Z: Nahi bhai meray pass hain, main cha rahi thi koi ek do achi cheezain lelon Sana or chachi key liyeR: Mujhe pata hay ke tumhare pass hay lekin jab tum yahan to sab mere responsibility hay. He said patting her head.Everytime he touched her or hugged her, his heart pained from the last time he laid a hand on her. He always wondered if she forgave him for all the physical and mental violence she suffered at his hands. She had told him once, "Jab Allah maaf kardey to insan ki kiya aukaat kisi sey naraz rehney ki. Shayad meri or apki kismet main yehi tha, hamari naseeb main yehi safar likha tha yahan tak puhanchney ke liye. Apney ap ko or hamarey rishtey ki importance ko pehchaney ke liye. Main ap sey kabhi naraz nahi reh saki, mujhe ap main sey Abbi ki khushboo ati hay or ap ki baton main Ammi ki awaz"

Watching her face now, he realized that she looked even more beautiful than ever before; unblemished, pure and innocent. Her smiles reached her eyes and her interactions with him were no longer tentative or restrained. He said a quick prayer for his sister and walked out with her to take her to the car.

Zubiya sat in the terrace by her Abbi's room. She had just finished packing all the gifts for Sana's in laws. She checked her phone; she had talked to Mama and Gaiti bhabi this morning but no messages or calls from him

A: I don't know how I am allowing you to leave for 5 days. Asfand said as he took her hair tie off for the 3rd time that night,They were in bed the night before she was leaving...well morning because it was 2:50 am and they had not slept.Z: Acha hua. Too late to change your mind now, I am going to Karachi actually to get some sleep. She said as she tried to grab the hair tie from his hand but he put his hand out of her reach. She got up and tried again but he was too quick for her. They tossed and tussled for the hair tie until she got tired. She laid on top of him with her hair all over her face.Z: Ughh Asfand my hair will be all tangled when I wake up. He laughed, his fingers up and down her back. A: How about 3 days? Zubiya lifted her head and looked up at him in shock. He took the opportunity to hold her chin and pull her face for a kiss. Her hair enveloped their faces like a curtain. He pushed her gently and made her lay down on her back. Z: Asfand it's almost 3:00am and I have a flight at 9. She complained while closing her eyes as she felt his lips near her jaw.A: Good, we have plenty of time. I will leave the house at 7 and take you to the airport before going to the hospital. He said somewhere between her neck and collarbone working his way down to her waist. He kissed his way back up to her face, stared in to her eyes and whispered in her ear.Z: Nnooo I am so tired.A: Sleep on the plane. He said before he entwined their fingers and held her lips in a coaxing kiss. A kiss to persuade, a kiss to crumble her resolveA: I am going to miss you soo much!!! He mumbled on her lips.

That was a the last thing that was said for the next several minutes. She managed to get almost no sleep that night and gave him angry looks the whole drive from home to the airport.And now she was sitting on the terrace missing him more than he missed her. He never forgot to call her when he went away or she was away, I hope everything is okay she thought getting worried as she texted him for the 4th time today.He was probably busy yelling at the hospital staff and did not even remember that she was not there. She thought as anger built up inside her.