Chapter 2

"FAKER?!" Shadow called out as he walked deeper into the forest, looking for his rival.

He had walked a good mile away from the river and the rope hanging above it, but he has still not found Sonic. Shadow was actually worried about this. What if Sonic was hurt?!

"Sonic where are you?!" Shadow called out through his hands, hoping by using his real name, it would get his attention.

Sure enough, a few feet ahead of him, the bushes rattled and Sonic stepped out from behind a tree, with the most adorable and childish grin Shadow has ever seen on his face before.

"Come on, Shadow." He called to the ebony before disappearing behind the tree again.

"Sonic." Shadow hissed and ran up to the tree, trying to catch up to him. But when he turned the corner, Sonic was already gone. "What the hell?"

Where the hell was Sonic going?! Shadow started to get really creeped out now. This was unfamiliar territory, he had no idea what kind of secrets this forest held.

As Shadow continued walking, he suddenly started to hear what sounded like wind chimes, rattling gently through the breeze. He thought he could hear voices along with those chimes, whispering quietly, too low for him to make out. Out of the corner of his eyes, Shadow saw dark shapes following him, they looked almost human, but when he turned to get a better look, they disappeared.

Chills ran down his spine. Something wasn't right.

"Sonic, please!" He nearly begged the blue hedgehog. He didn't like being alone in this strange place.

"Shadow, come look at this!" The azure hedgehog's voice suddenly resonated through the area. Shadow sighed in relief and ran towards the voice. When he stepped through a brush he looked up. An old abandoned tree house stood proud and tall in a tree that perfectly supported it. It was old and run down, the paint chipping away and littered with dead leaves and sticks. Sonic was inside, exploring the house. "Isn't this amazing?"

"I guess." Shadow frowned, stepping up to the tree and looking up at him.

"You guess?" Sonic looked down at him, shocked. "Don't you realize what we just found here?"

"An old rundown treehouse?"

"No Shads, it's the home of two great rulers, who ruled over this land with a gentle iron fist." Sonic began, climbing up to another branch. "They were loved and respected by all who inherit this land. They were kind and gentle, but sadly, that was one of their weaknesses."

"What are you talking about, hedgehog?"

"The rulers were so kind, that it was often taken advantage of. That's what got them killed. Killed, by the Dark Master."

"The Dark Master?" Shadow frowned curiously.

"Yes Shadow." Suddenly, Sonic stopped, his ears pricked in alert. "Do you hear that?"

Shadow listened closely, only to hear the same wind chimes he heard before. A silent hiss then reached his ears and he quickly turned, only to see another dark shape disappear. "What was that?"

"That, Shadow, is the rattling chains of prisoners, turned into slaves for the Dark Master, and those dark shapes you keep seeing, are his Shadow Spies."

"You have quite the imagination, Faker." Shadow chuckled. "There's nothing out there."

"No, but it's true." Sonic shook his head. "Every word of it. We were brought here for a reason, Shadow. It's up to us now. We have to save this land and its inhabitants. We can't let the Dark Master win."

"Faker, I know you said earlier that we needed our own place, but this is getting a little ridiculous."

"Still don't believe me." Sonic huffed. "I'll prove it."

Shadow watched from the ground as Sonic stood in the middle of the treehouse, his arms raised above his head.

"Hear me, prisoners of the Dark Master!" He called out. "We are Sonic and Shadow! We have come to free you from the evil that keeps you enslaved! Can you hear me?! Show me that you can hear us!"

At that moment, Shadow watched in astonishment as the wind picked up and blew through the trees, shaking the leaves and creating the sound of cheering.

"You just got lucky." Shadow shook his head. "The wind's been blowing on and off all day."

Sonic smirked and looked back up to the trees.

"Can't hear you!"

On command, the wind blew even harder, creating a roaring noise. The wind was so hard, it almost knocked Shadow back, blowing his quills into his face.

Shadow quickly moved his quills aside and stared up at Sonic, who was laughing in pure joy.

Shadow couldn't help but smile.

Maybe playing along with this fantasy might not be so bad after all.