Untrustworthy

Start bij het begin

"Have fun." He calls as I leave the room. The mansion was quiet for once, a strange contrast to the usual yelling and occasional crash as Jeff throws a hissy fit over Ben beating him in a game. As I turn the corner to descend the stairs, however, I'm frozen to the spot at the sight before me. Toby was pressed up against the wall by Endo, her hands balled in his shirt, her mouth reaching up for his. His eyes dart to me for help, body ticking uncontrollably. He looked like a cornered animal.

"HEY!" I shout, leaping towards them and shoving Endo back. She stumbles, catching herself, and gives me a look so feral and enraged I felt I would die on the spot.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Endo demands. I feel the hair on the back of my neck rising but stand my ground, putting myself between her and Toby.

"Shouldn't I be asking you that?" I return. She glares at me, not answering. The silence around us thickens to the point it's almost tangible and I feel my chest tighten. Eventually she just grits her teeth and looks away, shoving her hands aggressively into her pockets.

"It's none of your business, skank." She hisses. I surprise myself by laughing, though it was a hollow sound.

"I'd say his wellbeing is my business, especially since he obviously didn't want to kiss you." Spitting at her, I take a threatening step forward. She watches me through lidded eyes, her face neutral.

"Easy, dog. Don't get your testicles in a knot." She says nonchalantly. It was as though a flip had switched somewhere within her, her anger that had been there moments earlier dissipated entirely. When I can't think of a response fast enough, she shrugs and turns on her heel, walking to the front door and out of sight. I exhale, trying to loosen my chest.

"T-T-Thank y-you, (Y/N-N)." Toby whispers, his skin unnaturally pale. I turn back around to face him, taking in the way he was shrinking down on himself, ticking every few seconds.

"It's okay, Toby. I didn't trust her to begin with." I say, patting his arm. He nods stiffly, taking a deep breath.

"S-She ju-ust grabbed me a-and-" He stutters, a nervous wreck. I shush him and grab his wrists, forcing him to look into my eyes.

"It's okay, Toby. Take another breath." I say, waiting as he does what I say, "Come on, lets go back to EJ. He and I have been trying to keep our distance from Endo."

"O-Okay, sure. C-C-Can we st-stop at my r-room to pick something u-up first though?" He asks. Nodding, I let him guide me through the halls. He slips into his room and I wait outside for him for a few moments before he emerges again with my swords in his arms. I accept them without shrieking this time, nodding in thanks. He was taking steady breaths now, and his eyes had stopped darting around to observe the shadows. When I open the door to my room again, EJ springs up, immediately sensing something wrong.

"What happened?" He asks, taking in Toby and I standing there, then staring at the weapon I had clutched in my hand.

"Endo pulled some funky business on Toby, then got pissed when I stopped her." I explain, leaning the weapon against my wall.

"Funky business? What funky business?"

"She tried to kiss him. Had him pinned against the wall and everything."

"P-Please don't remin-ind me." Toby mutters, ticking again.

"Sorry Toby. It's strange though, right?" I say, turning to EJ. He seemed to be deep in thought again.

"And nobody else thinks she's bad news?" He asks. Toby shakes his head.

"N-No, they're all probably out having a good time with he-r. She's been nothing but nice to me until now." He says. I sit heavily on my bed, cradling my head in my hands.